Is there any kind of medicine a dr. can prescribe for excrutiating cramps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Health

• Sure. Some birth control pills and iuds help with that...and then there's always standard pain killers.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 5:51 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• menstrual? I think 1st you need a really good gynecologist to rule out cysts or other real medical stuff.... make 100% sure it's JUST cramps and not a symptom of something else. I know a lot of female friends who get 5-7 Tylenol w/ codeine pills prescribed monthly. if you try the normal things (OTC pills, baths, heating pads, etc) then you eventually need to take it to the next level, esp if it is affecting your life and ability to function
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yes. MeloxIcam. It's a NSAID. I used them when my left ovary was swollen and I was having horrible cramps, worked wonders!! It is mostly used for arthritis, but another common use is bad cramping as long as there is no other reason for the cramping.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I use tylonol for period related cramps and it will not make you bleed more like ibprofin which is a blood thinner
    robinverm

Answer by robinverm at 6:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• yes but depending on your history & what kind of cramps
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i agree with previous posters make sure theres nothing more serious goin on and im sure they can find somethin to help
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 1:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Also ask about dietary changes you can make,
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2011