How do I help my toddler not roam?

Hi all,

I have a 16 month old toddler- walking, talking and doing just about everything! I've seen moms holding their toddler's hand when they walk outside, inside a library, or whatever but my toddler doesn't let me hold her hand. She gets mad and pulls her hand away. What ends up happening is my daughter walks around where ever she wants and I follow like if she is in charge.
I would really like to take her places without getting up every second and shadowing her- how can I make my life a little easier?

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 5:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she is showing her independance. allow her to . correct her when she goes to touching things or whatever but she is proud of her self. LOL but then at times explain that mommy needs to hold her hand at this point so she will know where to go ( or something) have fun...
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 6:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I agree. Let her show her independence but be consistent on the times when she needs to hold your hand - crossing the street, etc... and explain to her why.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I agree with cheekycherub. My 1 year old is doing this same thing and my nearly 3 year old did this as well when she was probably around your LOs age. With both I allow a certain amount of independence. But certain circumstances I tell them are non-negotiable. Things such as crossing the street or when we're in a parking lot or if they aren't behaving sometimes they have to hold my hand or, in the case of my 1 year old, be carried (she just turned one last week so she's still little enough-lol). If they're getting into things that they aren't supposed to then there are consequences. Time-out, holding my hand, leaving somewhere fun, having to go in the cart, getting something taken away, etc. Depends on their age and what they did. Most common consequence though is a time-out since it can be done no matter where we are and since they're both old enough for it and understand what it's about and why she's getting it.
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 7:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I always told mine that the could either hold my hand, or ride in the stroller. It was their choice, but those were the only choices. I had to enforce it a few times but after that they learned that I meant what I said. Now my 2 yo will follow me in the store and I don't worry about him running off. (not that I don't keep my eye out anyway, of course, but he stays right there)

Answer by missanc at 2:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2011