does your 1yr old brush?

my baby got her 1st teeth earlier this summer. she mocks EVERYTHING i do, so getting her to use a tooth brush wasn't hard. she didn't brush efficiently, but i was more happy about her trying. now, at 13mos w/ 6 teeth, she just won't let the toothbrush anywhere near her. she won't brush or let me do it for her. no rags or finger brushes either. she's only 1 & doesn't have anything in her diet that would concern me. her dentist said she's perfect. but i still worry. should i give her a break & try later? get her a spin brush? musical brush? i don't wanna force it cause this is an important lifelong habit & i don't wanna make it a negative experience.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 3:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mikayla is 17 months and she is soooo independent these days. She wants to do everything herself. She doesn't even touch her teeth, but she tries. I usually have to take up the slack and she fights me to the bitter end. I try to make it pleasent, but with no luck. Lately we have to hold her down and brush as fast as we can. I feel bad, but it has to be done. At least she wants to do it. We have to brush! She has 12 teeth and eats everything in sight.
    MikaylasMom623

Answer by MikaylasMom623 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have a 18month old and we brush everyday. i have come to learn that when I brush, I will have Nevaeh brush at the same time. She always wants to do what mommy is doing. Like this morning, I was brushing my teeth and she came in the bathroom. She started to point to her tooth brush. It has made it so easy for me. Also there is this toothpaste I bought at Walmart. It is just for babies and toddlers. It is a little pricy. I paid about $4 for it. I dont know if it will help, but you can give it a try
    nevaeh051907

Answer by nevaeh051907 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• we do it while he is in the tubby its just become part of the routine he dosent like it but he knows he has to be good about it if he wants play time in the tubby after we wash him
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 4:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i give my 15 month old her brush in the morning and before bed. she mostly chews it. we are on her second brush. i started letting her brush her teeth around 8 months. next we are going to work on letting mommy help her brush her teeth:)
    Anonymous

• My son has been brushing very well since one. But we have let him take ownership of his teeth brushing. We make a point to brush together as a family, odd, but it helps him. I also have an electric toothbrush made for kids - which also helps. The vibration and motion cleans better and he likes the feeling of it in his mouth so he does it longer. I also let him pick out his toothbrush and he gets to pick out a new one every month. He has done Cars and now is stuck on a robot. We also have made up a family tooth brushing sung.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I got the "tooth tunes" brush, and a smaller less expensive brush. I let my son "brush" his teeth with the tooth tunes, and I brush his teeth with the smaller brush and say "YAY!" after each tooth, and then I cheer about how clean his teeth are, and let him brush MY teeth with my tooth brush.

It mostly works. :) He's 2, though. I didn't figure it out until he was about 18 months. Before that I would just beg for "one tooth" and then "another tooth? plleeeeease?" and that worked, too. But it took forever!
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 4:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• makynzi LOVES to brush her teeth. she just has a plain and simple dora toothbrush, right now - but i think using the vibrating/musical ones is a cool idea!

she got her first tooth at 11 months, and i started vigorously brushing her teeth. she didn't really mind at all, because she likes the way the training toothpaste tastes, so she'd suck on it.

she's been brushing herself since about 12.5 months, and she'll let me know when she wants to brush by saying "mama, teefs."

sometimes she'll ask more than twice a day, but i still let her as long as she'll keep up with her toothbrush.
    sayitplease

Answer by sayitplease at 5:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My 15 month old is on his7th tooth and one day he fund a new toothbrush and did it. I was amazed ( it was when he only a two or three) so i got him a little tooth brush and training tooth paste from orajel. He does well with it I got him a stool and I brush then he does, I pick up missed spots but it depends on the child too.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 8:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You need to be helping you child brush till there at least 4 years old. Even know they only have baby teeth. Kids that have bad baby teeth weather from cavity or what not usually have bad adult teeth. So yes this is something that you need to fight your kids on doing.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yeah, it is VERY important to brush their teeth. Milk causes cavities, and alot of juices have acids that stay on their teeth. So, even if it doesn't seem like they are eating anything bad, it could be bad for their teeth. I would just try and find a way to make it pleasant... Try making a HUGE deal out of it... taking baby to the store to pick out a new tb, then getting really excited about it. If it doesn't work.. keep trying!
    ShannonRiddle

Answer by ShannonRiddle at 2:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2008