Head v/s Heart

It's more important to for some people to appear to know things than to actually know them by quoting scriptures that they don't know the meaning of. They teach the doctrine of Christianity, but knowing what the doctrine means is not as important. Case in point, "What is the value of memorizing scriptures." The ones who stated that it was more important to understand them than to be able to quote have the lowest rating. Why is this? Is this where peoples religion lies, in repeating things they do not understand?

So my question is... what's more important to you, knowing the truth in your heart or just having head knowledge of the truth? And which do you think your God really wants you to have most. NO , memorizing scripture does not lead to walking in it's light, I'm sure a lot of you know people who can quote the verses, but have no desire for any deeper meaning, they are completely satisfied in their hypocrisy. On the other hand, understanding the scripture and doing what it says, but not being able to quote still pleases God.

So, head knowledge or heart knowledge?

CallMeAngie

Asked by CallMeAngie at 5:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• In our church we were asked to memorize some verses in case anyone tried to burn the bibles. We'd still have the words to share. It doesn't make us better Christians. It just is a precaution against the possibility of book banning. Have you seen the movies Farenheit 451 and The Book of Eli?

Answer by admckenzie at 5:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Have you seen the movies Farenheit 451 and The Book of Eli?

You DO realize those are just movies right. Not an accurate depiction of history.
    I dont' beleive in God but feel that knowledge is important to understanding anything. and not just knowledge of the "words" and their meaning but the history behind it as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No, I haven't seen those movies. I'm not much on movies at all. I can see that there is a place to memorize the word, but it should be placed in perspective which is behind understanding it. Like it's written about those who know to do right and don't and those who were never taught to do right and do it of their own nature. Or the father that sent his son off to work for him, one said he would go and didn't the other said he wouldn't, but went. The latter of the two was the one who did what his father asked of him. Lip service will never do...heart service is what God requires of his followers.
    CallMeAngie

Comment by CallMeAngie (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• As a matter of priority, I'd put a spiritual witness to the heart first...knowlegde and memorization are pretty great too; just not on their own.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 6:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Kristi, good point. It is extremely valuable to understand not only what is being said in historical documents, but who it's being said to, why and the current words used and their meanings, which change over time. If you don't then you will never understand the what is being written, even if you can quote every word from memory. The Christian God doesn't seem to want parrots who can quote books that were written as instructional guides and examples, he wants people who understand what those words means.

I am still looking for my beliefs, I do believe there is a God.... but that is based on personal things not found in a book anywhere. I do not expect anyone to believe my personal experiences, in fact if they did and didn't question..I'd lose respect for them.
    CallMeAngie

Comment by CallMeAngie (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Dkhilly, what if you had a witness that didn't line up with your doctrine? I know of a person who claims Christianity and will find a heart felt witness for anything she wants to do, even if it's contrary to what's written in their doctrine.
    CallMeAngie

Comment by CallMeAngie (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think that if you know the meaning it is much more important than memorizing versus. I have found those that memorize the versus can't always explain what the versus mean, and not to mention go ahead and memorize the versus of the bible, because you can take them out of context if you do not memorize the versus before and after..... Know in your heart how your God wants you to behave, and then act that way....I feel that's the most important thing.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• For me, my head and my heart agree on this matter. But I tend to hear out my heart and then see why my head says... When they can both agree, I don't need to wonder about my choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I say Head and Heart knowledge. Head knowledge is the beginning of studying God's word. As we grow in the head knowledge of God's word Holy Spirit guides us in the Heart Knowledge of God's word.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 6:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I can't quote Scripture but I can paraphrase a chapter or meaning. If needed I can find it. Most times I just point to the Chapter and verses because I use more then one or two verses.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011