Has your child ever had ringworm?

I think my 2 month old may have it in his cheek but I wasn't sure if there is a cream I could buy at the pharmacy or if I need to take him to the doctor.

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD got ringworm from playing on the playground. Needless to say I haven't taken her back there since.. It can happen if you let your LO play on the ground anywhere or at someone's house if anyone there was exposed. If you don't want to take her to the dr's right away you can always take her to walgreen or cvs and ask the pharmacist. They can let you know their opinion on what it could be and any recommendations on medication.
    It'll be really easy to tell if it's ringworm because there will be white circles outlined in red that seem really dry and itchy.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:00 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• ring worm is a fungus infection and needs an anti-fungal treatment. Since your child is so young, take him to the doctor before you try and treat
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• with him being so young you should take him to the doctor
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 5:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Check your dogs. If they have it you should be able to see it on their skin. And take the kid to the doctor. With him being so young there are some creams that you should not use on him. Especially on his face.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No, but I had it once, a long time ago.

You can buy over the counter cream.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yea my 2 yr old got it...were using some type of foot cream....cant remember the nane
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 5:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Another question, how exactly does this happen? Is it something I did or didn't do?
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Probably from contact with an infected person or pet. It can also be caught from infected towels, bedding, hairbrushes, combs, hats, and other clothing. He could also have picked it up on his feet from walking around barefoot in an infected locker room or pool area.
    Experts think there's some genetic tendency for catching ringworm. And excess sweating seems to increase the chances, too, as the condition thrives in humid climates.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 5:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Lamasil. But I always used clear finger nail polish. worked faster. * but i wouldnt know on one that young* ask the dr or google it. (how to get rid of **** on a 2 mo old
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 5:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Then it's ringworm alright. I bought an anti-fungal cream and put it on him and it seems to be getting better, I've only put very small amount since he is so young. I have 2 dogs in the house also, could he have gotten it from them? The only reason I haven't taken him to the doctor it's because I don't want them to tell me the same thing you guys are for free!
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011