So what do you like about the flat tax?

I posted a very complete Q and A about the fair tax and some said they liked the flat tax without giving any reasons. I know they are similar but what is it you like about the flat tax?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The only way I would support a fair tax is if the 16th amendment were removed completely. Otherwise the government would pull a bait and switch and we would have the progressive income AND the fair tax.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• what Carpy said!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Otherwise the government would pull a bait and switch and we would have the progressive income AND the fair tax.

Awwww Carpy, they wouldn't do that ***coughcoughBScoughcough*** would they???
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:40 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I guess you didn't read it then
    Could we end up with both the FairTax and an income tax?

No current supporter of the FairTax would support the FairTax unless the entire income tax is repealed. Moreover, concurrent with the repeal of the income tax, a constitutional amendment repealing the 16th Amendment and prohibiting an income tax will be pushed through Congress for ratification by the states (filed as HJR 16 in the 110th Congres
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Still I hear nothing to even try and sway me to the flat tax.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• What do YOU dislike about the flat tax? I do not trust the government to have a VAT and that is just what the fair tax is. More subject to abuse. And yes I did read the article, but I have too little faith in Washington (especially NOW) to give them a VAT
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• So what do you like about the flat tax?

I support the idea of  taking deductions and loopholes out of the 'equation' and establishing a tax that ALL pay into... Whether it be Fair Tax or Flat tax, it's time for a serious discussion in DC...  With a fair/flat tax EVERYONE contributes.... Even illegals.  Lawful US citizens who are at poverty level can still obtain prebates to help offset the purchase of necessary items.  With something like a fair tax, resale of used items would NOT be taxed, so this would encourage people to 'reuse' bikes, cars, tv's, and other big ticket items....  Which is better all around...

Bureacrats use the current IRS tax code scam to play politics with every American's hard work and livlihoods...  We, as US citizens, need to limit the control burecrats have over our income.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• resale of used items (by individuals: ie~ craigslist, ebay, etc)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I support the idea of taking deductions and loopholes out of the 'equation' and establishing a tax that ALL pay into

Flat taxes does that.

Lawful US citizens who are at poverty level can still obtain prebates to help offset the purchase of necessary items.

And here we have another bureaucracy. How would income levels be regulated at the end use point?

With something like a fair tax, resale of used items would NOT be taxed, so this would encourage people to 'reuse' bikes, cars, tv's, and other big ticket items.... Which is better all around...

We have that already. It's called Garage sales and goodwill.

Bureacrats use the current IRS tax code scam to play politics with every American's hard work and livlihoods... We, as US citizens, need to limit the control burecrats have over our income.

Agreed

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The fair tax is NOT a VAT tax
    While VATs are also consumption taxes, and better than income taxes, the FairTax is not a VAT. A VAT works very differently. It taxes every stage of production. It is much more complex and is typically hidden from the retail consumer. Second, in industrialized countries that have a VAT, it coexists with high-rate income tax, payroll, and many other taxes that, in some instances, have led to marginal tax rates as high as 70 percent. Third, all other industrialized countries, except Australia and Japan, have a much larger tax burden than the U.S., which requires higher rates and makes tax administration much more difficult. Lastly, a VAT is a lobbyist’s dream, allowing them to install their loopholes unbeknownst to the purchaser. A retail sales tax, in contrast, is a lobbyist’s nightmare, applied as it is applied under the bright lights of the retail counter
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011