What are your thoughts on baby food??

store bought
homemade purees from can food
homemade purees from fresh veggies
how would you compare the 3 ?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my daughter was a baby I bought all fresh or frozen veggies (then fruits) for her food. I made everything at home. Just our preference I guess.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think homemade foods are the best. However you have to have the time and patience to make foods at home. I personally did both- I bought a puree blender and once a week I would cook a bunch of foods and puree and freeze them. If I ran out of fresh foods or simply did not feel like doing this whole process I would also always have jar food stored. The difference I think is that homemade foods do not have any preservatives and you can also play around with flavors a little more- not to mention all the different textures you can play around with. Jar food is fine too though so don't feel compelled to make just one choice!
    kittymom83

Answer by kittymom83 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• In order of what I would do/use - homemade with fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, store bought, and never would I consider using canned. Homemade is so much healthier. I bought jars of food for my oldest because to be honest, I didn't know any better. Homemade is also much much cheaper in comparison. My 2nd never had store bought food.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I just decided on a whim today to make my own purees here at home today, but I did it with canned instead of fresh and wondered if that was just as healthy... He no longer likes store bought food, I guess it doesnt have enough flava lol
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• There's some store brands I know/love/trust. Smaller brands bought either online or in Whole foods.

I think having some store bought on hand for emergencies and travel is good.

But it's soooo easy to steam and mash some carrots and thin it out with a little water or formula/breastmilk
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I've done both. Growing your own produce and then steaming and pureeing it yourself is always going to be the absolute safest option, but jarred food, store bought veggies are also great. It all depends on your lifestyle and how much time you have. Homemade always you to make your own combinations, consistencies, flavors, spices, etc. But for the working mom or the busy mom, this may not be the best option. In that case, store bought is still a great option and introduces baby to the wonderful world of food. :)
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Store bought canned veggies are way too high in sodium. If you want to make your own, don't use canned crap, buy fresh or frozen.
    Anonymous

• Most of that is not needed. I didn't buy or make special baby food. I started with soft foods like unsweetened all natural applesauce, ripe avocado, ripe fresh banana, cooked sweet potato. I'd just mash it with a fork. My kids mostly went right to finger foods.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i made my own baby food! love it!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i thought it was to much to make foods, i dont let anything sit opened for more than two days so I would be making food everyday almost. My girls have had jared baby food. My oldest was on completely table foods at like 6 months old. My youngest is now 9 months with only 4 teeth and will eat nothing but table foods. It all depends on how much time you have on your hands. To be honest i wish i would have just made it all myself, atleast than i know what is in it.
    BabyGirl5808

Answer by BabyGirl5808 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011