Help. Please....I need some advice on dicipline.

I went for about 6 months with hardcore depression. I basically was unemotionally attatched to my children for those months, only doing what I had to do and in my eyes, just make sure they didn't eat pills or run away outside. I sat there like an empty shell, crying most days.
I've been pulling myself out of that and I'm now seeing and caring about the effects that this has had on my kids. They are totally out of control and my DD who is 4 and the oldest is very angry.
Will consistency with dicipline, time outs and positive encouragement really do the trick and get the kids happy and on track with listening? I think if I DD to listen and be happy again the others will follow suite.
Please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree you need to get some professional help. They are probably acting up just to try and get some kind of attention and negative is better than none at all in their eyes. I hope that you are able to pull out of this real soon. My mom suffered depression when I was growing up and it is hard to deal with. I was about 12 and I felt like I was the parent, I have sat up many nights to be sure my mom did not hurt herself. I felt like I lost a large part of my teen years, dont make your children miss their childhood. and I know the last thing you need is someone making you feel bad that is NOT what I am doing! I am just hoping that you do get help!
    younginx2

Answer by younginx2 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yes, it should. I also suggest family counseling to help your children learn to deal with your depression. Kids see and feel more than we think. Your depression could come back at anytime and they need to learn how to help you out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You should definitely talk to your daughter about how you are feeling and how she is feeling. Consistency is very important and so is patience. You can't expect yourself or your kids to turn around overnight. Try to make a visual representation for your positive discipline. (A sticker chart, a jewel jar, something she can see.) Set up specific rewards for what she an earn with a certain number of jewels/smileys.) Good luck.
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 7:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i agree with being consistant and all you can do is try and not give up
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011