Cellphone Etiquette

Seems like everyone has one, text and surf the web too much.

What do you ask your family to do when together and everyone has a cell phone?

My son is not old enough to have one and I mostly have mine turned on when I am away from home and when we are together I do not use it and do not use it for internet use.

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Technology

• We only have cell phones, so most of the time mine is turned on. Generally speaking, during dinner, movie night, game night, bedtime, or any other time we are spending family time together, I will not answer my phone unless it's an emergency. I will look to see who's calling, but unless it's like my parents, grandparents or SO, I ignore it. I have a friend or two that I might answer for, because they have major family problems that they might actually need me, but for the most part, they can leave a message.

My kids are not old enough for cell phones, but if/when they eventually do get them, the rule will be the same for them: if we are together doing something as a family, the phone will be ignored. Given that they are kids/teens, I don't really foresee an emergency for which they would need to answer the phone, unless perhaps they have a friend that is in an abusive home or something. I'll cross that when I get there.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011