I am such a loser! I somehow managed to fail therapy:(

My therapist told me to read 3 chapters of a book. I read the whole thing. I wanted to see where it was going and after I finished I realized I was not interested in this 7 week program, it's just not what I want to work on. I told her this and she said, "you don't follow direction very well and I don't know if I want to give you anymore suggestions." I told her that was fine and she doesn't have to give me suggestions. However, I'm paying her so what the hell is she going to do for me then? She's disappointed with me because I didn't agree to doing one thing she wanted to? I've done everything else...I'm so confused and feel like such a fuckin' loser!!! I cancelled my appt. and have decided not to go back nor do I want to see someone else. Anyone else have a similiar experience with therapy? Or were you helped?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Health

• NOOOOOO....not all therapists are created equally! lol It's like shopping or picking a doctor...YOU choose the one that fits best for you. You'll know when they bring stuff out of you that you didn't realize was buried! lol Don't give up...just shop around a bit! :)
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 7:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I agree with beachybabe
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would probably be the same way. I went to a therapist before but I found out soon enough that I was smarter than him and then I found out that the credited school he attended was a community college that my old gym teacher went to. wtf? I just don't get how someone has the answers to life and is supposed to know what I'm feeling and what the underlying message is of my need to keep a clean house. How about that it's dirty and I don't like living in filth. OMG someone pay me $100 for answering my own damn question. fucken quacks.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 7:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Sounds like your therapist has control issues. Get a new one.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 7:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Find another, you are not going to school, you are going to a therapist & paying for it.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Why did finishing the book make you not want to do the 7 week program? She asked you to read the first 3 chapters only, so she was correct in saying, you don't follow instructions.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Find another therapist ASAP!
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• find a diff one, search around :)
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 12:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You may not be the therapy type. They always annoyed me. I found a few books that helped me along with my church and family. You may just need to look deeper at why you are going, and then decide. Therapy is not for everyone. A friend found out after going for years and getting on several drugs his therapist wanted him to take that he got worse not better.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 7:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• If the therapist suggested you do something, it's a good idea to at least give it a shot. Sometimes clients don't like to hear what the therapist has to say, so they quit. As a former therapist, it's very frustrating.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2011