How do you handle a newborn and 1 year old?

I was finally able to bring my son home after him spending 16 days in the NICU. I have 4 other boys at home, ages 5, 5, 2, and 1. The first three have acted just fine today with the new baby but my 1 year old is acting "crazy". He of course screams and screams whenever i am holding the baby or doing anything that has to do with the baby. My 1 year is 14 months if that makes a difference. Please give any advice you can. When i brought my 1 year old home when he was born my 2 year old , 1 at the time, was fine so i did not deal with this before.

michelle.coppes

Asked by michelle.coppes at 7:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's jealousy. He has to share mommy. It will pass, but make sure you are giving him just as much attention as you are the baby.... My ds was 17 months and it was a hard couple of days....it got easier. Hang in there mama!!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• he has missed you terribly. as i'm sure you have missed him - and when you have a moment after the stress of life in NICU, you might be able to connect with it.
    sit mama. sit and hold your babies. when you are old and rocking with your memories, the house, dishes, dirty clothes, and self-imposed pressure to be clean and tidy will not seem so important (as my mother says).
    I found that sitting down in the rocking chair or on the floor, I could safely hold two babies, or more. we have all girls, so I call it a girl-pile. with boys, you could definitely get everyone snuggled on the floor or couch for puppy-piles. lots of touch, lots of carrying. lots of interruptions. sigh. it's hard. really hard especially for me cuz my family was not very nurturing.
    oh, and get a good soft baby carrier. the baby won't notice for several months that you popped him on your back and are paying full attention to the ones who need it the most.
    dancingWNC

Answer by dancingWNC at 10:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2011