What are your thoughts on beauty pagents?

a friends dd does pagents she is 5, after seeing her pictures of her pagents my sd 8 now wants to do them. what are your thoughts?

esmith1984

Asked by esmith1984 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My CHILDREN are not sexual objects, there is no reason to teach them to be.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i will not put my child in a pageant i think it is ridiculous for young children to run around with make up and get judged on how they look.. but to eaches-own

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think it's horrible to compare a child by their looks. Society does that for them at a young enough age already.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• LOL..I enjoyed my time in pageants. I will put any daughter I have into the local ones.

Not every pageant and kid and mom is like the ones depicted on Toddlers and Tiaras.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I agree with all the abovesaid answers but to each his own... If you pan on not sxing your daughter up try letting her be in natural beauty pageants...That means the kids act THEIR age and wear less or no makeup than the other pageants!
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 7:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wont do it either. I hear people say all the time that it's a great way for them to earn scholarships and that, but I want to teach my daughter that you don't have to be deemed "pretty" by a panel full of judges in order to get someplace in life.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Have any of you ever been in pageants? That is not at all what a girl learns or takes away from that experience. Unless you have been in them, you shouldn't put them down and pretend to know.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Like Braden said.. they aren't all bad...If my dd was interested then i would let her go to them. She did some modeling when she was a baby. (Print ads) I do know someone who does them now. Her dd doesn't want to do them anymore and has said so many many times. But they refuse to let her stop.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I understand that the kids can learn some good things from the experience and have fun (if it's truely what the kid wants to do), but personally I think there are a lot of other ways to have fun that fit better with our parenting philosophy. I wouldn't want my child to get the message that how you look matters much (beyond basic cleanliness and social standards). We try to live by the idea that what matters is what is in your head and your heart.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Why can't a kid do MANY things? Who says THIS is all they do? I played softball, was in 4-H, was a cheerleader...so on. I had loads of fun in pageants. I did not grow up to think I am only valued for my looks. I thought I won because I remembered to walk properly, to interview well, and to do my best on stage.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011