Tee ball question

My 5 year old daughter had her first tee ball game tonight and was tagged out twice by the other team's COACH. The team wasn't short players, he wasn't helping the kids play, he was essentially playing first base while the kid who was supposed to be covering first base was being a typical 5 year old and kind of wandering off or playing in the dirt.

I know for sure that our coaches weren't doing that. They were trying to keep the kids who were especially prone to screwing around and playing in the dirt (my child included! LOL) on track and paying attention, but weren't playing like a player.

I didn't want to make a fuss in front of my daughter, because she was having a lot of fun and didn't realize that it was unfair. Actually I didn't make a fuss at all, but I was shocked.

So my questions are has anything like this ever happened to you? And if so, what did you do about it? Should I even bring it up since I think it was the only game we will even have with this team? What would you do?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• He should not be tagging kids out. He is not supposed to be in the game but rather directing the children on how to play. Usually there are rules the league has to follow. That being one of them. My DS play tee ball and my DD plays softball and I have never seen a coach play like he is in the game. They are usually on the field at the bases but the tell the child to do the plays.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i would say something technically she was not out because he was the coach not the player.

esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• He was probably just doing it to show the children who weren't paying attention what they were suppose to be doing. I wouldnt worry about it.
    Anonymous

• I would have tagged his ass in the parking lot after the game. No, don't say anything because u won't see him again and someone else will get him.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I guess that is my dilemma...what could they really do? Go back and tell her she wasn't out when it is just for fun basically anyway? Plus with not dealing with him again, what is the point other than maybe he wouldn't be doing it to other peoples' kids. It was just irritating.

I don't want to take the fun out of something for her when she didn't realize it was wrong, kwim?!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yeah...our coach will stand by the kids and help tell them what to do..."catch the ball...throw it to Mike...good job" but never does it for them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Oh, and I forgot to mention that at this age, we don't have umpires...the coaches just do that work. Most of the time this is perfectly fine, and I don't expect them to catch every little thing, but I DO expect them not to do things like that!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If your daughter was okay with the game I wouldn't mention it. It's a game and in teeball everybody wins.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My dd took tee ball last year... though our coach was fine, what I realized in 'playoff season' was that three quarters of the other coaches were freakin' INSANE! They acted like it was the World Series, they were operating under a totally different set of rules than our coaches had been given... one coach even had a tantrum about a game that he agreed to forfeit because a number of his team members were not present... once we agreed to play anyhow since the kids were disappointed to go home without a game, other members of his team showed up and suddenly it was all foot-stomping around the umpire to have the forfeit cancelled... they are five, who cares??? What I got out of it was that, much as it frustrated me, my daughter really didn't notice one way or another and it didn't interfere with her enjoyment of the game, so I let it go. This year several of my friends are coaching... hoping for change from within!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• He is a good coach then, if a child is not getting it or playing, omen hs to step n! That is how kids learn!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:11 AM on Apr. 27, 2011