If you don't have a basement, what do YOU do in tornadoes?

When I was growing up, my mama used to have to drag me in off the porch and into the basement during tornado warnings because I was so interested in storms.

Now, I don't have any sort of basement and I HATE it. We have been in this house for 6 or 7 years now and every time we get warnings and watches, I sit on pins and needles knowing that the kids and I go in the garden tub and pull the dressing screen that is in the bathroom over us...which I think I would be better off just bending over and kissing my @SS goodbye. I feel WAY different now that I have to protect a family and don't have a safe place to go. I want to move SOOOO bad.

Anyway, if you don't have a basement, what do you do in tornadoes?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I grew up in tornado alley...there was always a tornado touching down near us. As I speak, we are under a tornado warning...I have seen plenty funnel clouds. So, he fear may be just as valid as mine.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We sit in the bathtub or a storage closet under the stairs. My husband is usually on the front porch checking it out if the lightening is not to bad. I know how you feel about the protective instinct though. I am not from TX and grew up where there were basements. I thought storms were cool....that is until my first son was 3 months old, I lived in an upstairs apartment. I was sitting there nursing him looking out the living room window when I saw a tornado take out the top floor of a hotel down the block across the street...and then debri become so thick I could not see out the window anymore and then blow my front door open. I feel very protective now. It can be super scarey!!!! esp since we do not all fit in the tub!!
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:06 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Middle closet away from windows.

I live in a trailer for the month and I go outside.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We usually have at least one touch down within 10 miles of our house every year, but I don't think our homes were ever effected directly by the tornadoes...more from the strong wind and rotations...i.e. trees through our roof twice growing up, and once as an adult. I HATE not having a basement. I will never own another home without one.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Bathroom in the middle of the house - no windows. Only room in the interior of the house.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• im in so. cal... no basements and no tornados.
    Anonymous

• i live in florida, no basements around here. we were always told to go somewhere int he middle of the house with no windows around.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We have a basement but it's nowhere we can go. I've lived in other places too that had no basement. Currently if we have to take shelter, we go to my IL's - we live right by them, it takes about 30 seconds to get from our back door to theirs (and yes, we've had to do it in the middle of awful storms!). Previously, I would find a neighbor I could run to (pre-arranged when I moved in) or in one place I rented, I lived next door to a sherriff deputy and he came and got me and took me to the neighborhood shelter with his kids (his protection = me babysitting in a storm - worked for me!).
    Anonymous

• Go into a windowless closet, a windowless bathroom, the lowest portion of the house that has no windows, a celler, a crawl space if easily accessable ...
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Our crawl space has to be accessed from outside and is really narrow. I suppose it is an option though.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011