Do you think this is illegal? What do you think?

I have a friend that went for a walk with her husband while her children in bed asleep. Ages 11, 7 and 5. 1/2 mile down the road and back. She doesn't think its a big deal because they were asleep. Do you think that was a really bad idea? She plans to start doing this nightly so that she can have alone time with her husband. They live in the country. If that helps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• i think the only thing that she did wrong was not tell the 11 year old she was leaving. He needs to know if she plans on having him babysit. Sleeping or not. What if something bad happend and he didn't know how to reach her. If this were me i wouldn't do it this way.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:08 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• If they live in a good area and they are right up the road, I don't see why not. Hopefully they locked the door. Depending on the maturity of the 11 year old, I might leave them alone while I went to the store a few minute, my mom did I was 11 my brother was 7 and my other brother was a newborn
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's a half mile away and back. Not 12 miles. It should be fine. It is NOT illegal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• this is a bad idea. Unfortunately we live in a world where danger is present no matter what u do or where u live. It is quite possible for something to happen while she is miles away.
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 8:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Depends. As long as oldest was aware of the fact that we did it and the younger 2 knew to go to the oldest for help then I would, our nneighborhood is pretty rural.

Also an 11 yr old can dial a phone.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would do it. It's a 1/2 mile. That's like a few blocks and would take like 10-15 minutes to walk (less if you run). When I was 12 and my brother was 10 my parents left us sleeping so my mom could drive my dad to work at 2-3am. It was either that or she woke us up for the 45 minute drive then try to get us back to sleep just to get up at 7am. OR we walked the 5 miles to school. We only had 1 car.
    We knew they left and what to do if anything happened. Which it never did.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think if she's going to do it nightly that I'd recommend telling the children, especially the oldest.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• If the 11 year old is mature enough to care for the younger children for A WHOPPING 10 MINUTES, then I fail to see the problem.

However, if the 11 year old can't take on the responsibility, then she shouldn't do it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Bad Idea!!! You never know what could happen!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• IDK if that would be illegal, but I don't think it's a good idea.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011