Are any of the 450 vertabrae species that have been documented in having homosexual patterns/relations facing extinction or over population?

I posted in this question in the middle of another thread, but this has me wondering if (as someone theorized) that possibly homosexuality is one of nature's population controls?

Does anyone know in the over 450 different vertebrate species that have been documented in having homosexual patterns/relations, are any facing extinction in the near future?
How many are overpopulated?
Besides the national geographic article that has been posted more times than any other, anyone have any other resources books that might help me answer this question? It was an enlightening theory, in my mind and would like to research it potential more.
Thanks.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• OK, I found this article and I think I will get the book to read, but any other resources I would appreciate the info.

http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/06/the_gay_animal_kingdom.php
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• They are animals...they are not intelligent...not as intelligent as we are. They have no morals, no values, and no idea of what is to come. How can you look at homosexuality in snimals and compare that to humans? Why is everyone trying to justify why it should be ok?
    Anonymous

• Because it is a side of a debate that I am not as knowledgable on. I like to get as much facts as I can. There are quite a few people who continue to post it is natural and I am curious to know what articles they are reading so I can formulate an opinion and research a theory. People think that animals engage in homosexual behavior is natural. There are articles to substantiate this theory. I am curious to know if there are any trends to support a theory that it could control the population or it could lead to extinction of the many vertabrae that engage in forms of homosexual behavior.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i think that your right it does keep population in control. people of the same sex can not physically have children someone has to step in and help.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Anon, why does this question bother you so much? Animals have instincts that encourage reproduction. They don't have to have the IQ of a human (although, some of the IQ's on CM are debatable in their own right), but they are also created to reproduce. If they fail to reproduce and instead start exhibiting homosexual behaviors, then they have a higher likelihood to become endangered and eventually extinct. It's a valid question. And I don't think anyone is trying to make a case for it to be OK.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• All primates groups have members who show homosexual behaviors. Look up bonobos. If nothing else it is entertaining.

I think the animal human homosexual connection is to show that homosexuality is natural and the idea that is unnatural is a religious idea. For example, before colonialism (and the spread of Christianity) homosexual behavior was accepted in most of the world. In many Native American groups they were considered to have two spirits and were respected shamans. In India there was and is still a religion where the leaders were gay man who were also transgendered (wish I could remember the name). Men like Socrates, Julius Caesar, Michelangelo, and Leonardo da Vinci all had romantic and/or sexual relationships with other men.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• One thing you got right they do house a homosexual spirit. ( a demonic spirit)
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 5:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Ahem* For those who didn't do so well in science class...HUMANS ARE ANIMALS! Furthermore, animals also show other characteristics that humans show...particularly in the mammal class...particularly in 'moral' areas like social groupings, jealousy on the part of the alpha male, care of the young, etc. Hate to burst your 'God loves me and I'm all special cuz I'm a hooman' bubble, but we aren't that different from the lowly animals...we are animals ourselves.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 6:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• GREAT ANSWER mizkaye!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Ahem* Sorry, but the science books don't tell me who I am. If you need some imperfect godless human tell you that you are an animal because they can't figure out the infinite wisdom of God so be it. I am not an animal I am a human being created in the image of God. meaning I have a soul just like Him. animals do not have souls.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 6:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008