14 yr old has an "internet" bf..

my daughter has a myspace. and she met this 16 yeear old who lives 3 hours away but comes close to where we live everyn other weekend. she realy wnats to be with him and they are greatly in love. i dont see him as a player..he has only been with one girl. should i aloow them to talk/meet? what are your opions on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I hear all the time of old guys who pretend to be young guys online and flirt with young girls. I advise against it. The girls frequently think that it can' t happen to them, but it may well.

Answer by Bmat at 3:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i would make sure your around all times just to get comfy with him so that next time you can trust them together more instead of wondering what happened to her and freaking out. either be around her, take them two out with you, or have him as a guest in your house.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I would be really careful. you never know. I agree with Bmat.

If they meet at your house or something like that, where YOU can "control" them, then it should be alright.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Bad bad idea!!! Too many creeps out there!! However if you decide to let your 14 year old to meet this guy MAKE SURE YOU ARE WITH HER. (obviously you would since she can't drive) But just keep in mind your the parent and its your job to protect and keep her safe
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I would do some checking yourself before truly considering it. Check out his myspace page, talk to him, speak with his parents and so on. If he checks out then I would make them stay in your home with you there for at least the first few weeks.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If you want to let her meet him make it in a public place with you or another adult there. There are just way too many stories out there about bad things happening even though he probably is who he says he is you just don't want to take that chance. My ds is 15, he and some of his real life friends have made friends with a kid on xbox live and asked if he came around here like he thought he might if they can meet him I said sure at the mall with me there with you.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Sometimes i agree depending on the situation because i've been there and done that the first turned out fine but the second was'nt what i expected. but they both seemed fine, even though i have grown up and found the man i love and have the children i wanted it still will remember the first, we dated for 1yr when i was 15 he was 16. Make sure she takes a friend or a friend he doesnt know is near by.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 3:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• your daughter is to young to be dating anybody no matter what the boy is like. she shouldn't be allowed to have bf's until like 16 and then it should just be like casual dating and group dates and no one serious. children are not old enough to know what they are seeking in a boy and they can't control or she reason in things that might be harmful to them. why would you allow this? she is just simply to young to have a bf. so why bother meeting up with the boy. also your emotions are different through a computer. i had a long distance relationship and it didn't work out. he was not who he was in person but it was hard to get over him cause i had him built up through the limited info and chemistry through a computer screen.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My personal opinion is definately not. I don't think 14 is old enough to date and I think it's irresponsible to allow a child go off and meet someone whom you know nothing about, even if he's told her things on the computer that doesn't mean it's true.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 2:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Yea definitely in agreeance with the last 2 posters. She's to young to have a "serious" boyfriend, much less one from online. How do you really know if this is a 16 year old? By the pics? Photoshop, or simply stealing pics can be that issue. That being sd, I'm against it. I would educate your daughter on online predators. There was a program on MTV about it. I also would get a program on the comp so you can trace all activity...move the comp into the living room, or family room where YOU CAN MONITOR her actions. She might be mad at you about it, and decided to meet him WITHOUT YOU and you need to be aware of everything he/she might be planning. But defintely a no no.
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 2:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2008