Best way to transition from formula to whole milk?

My son will be one in a few weeks and I was going to start transitioning him from formula to whole milk, but I wasnt sure what the best way was. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

lucasmommy519

Asked by lucasmommy519 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• slow and steady wins the race! put some in tomorrows oatmeal. make some smashed potatoes with it. over an ounce at a time in a favorite sippy cup.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• eh, they don't need milk. i wouldn't worry too much about it. try to give him a variety of beverages and see what his preference is. he may like to drink milk, but he doesn't NEED to drink milk.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Well he has had food with milk already in it like smashed potatoes or mac-n-chesse but i wasnt sure how it would work with giving him a sipy cup of it. I was planning on starting out with just like an oz or 2 in the morning and see how he does.
    lucasmommy519

Comment by lucasmommy519 (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I just did it cold turkey, my dd was fine. Whole milk made her a bit constipated, so we switched to 2% then to 1%
    zradiogirl

Answer by zradiogirl at 8:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Ok thanks i might just do it that way...lol
    lucasmommy519

Comment by lucasmommy519 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• with us we just started giving small amounts of milk/day... like 2-3 oz with one of his meals and over time we just increased the amount. We did formula and breastmilk and I didn't stop with that until he was a really good eater which was around 14-15 months... once he was eating better (meaning eating well from all food groups) then I put him on just milk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I was told by my pediatrician at 12 months my child needs one bottle of milk each day. She said to start out with whole milk. She also suggested that he is still formula. Now he is on 14 months old and I give him a bottle of water twice a day to help clean his teeth, a pureed fruit and a vegetable and a meat each day.
    robinverm

Answer by robinverm at 10:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• one more thing I buy the milk with out hormones etc Private selection or horizon.
    robinverm

Answer by robinverm at 10:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Formula only n the bottle, whole milk only in the cup. Gradually start offering the cup with whole milk. When you are finished with formula, you are finished with bottles.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I started adding an ounce with formula for a day or so. Slowly over the week or so before he turned one I would replace ounces with milk until on his first bday it was all milk. That helped him to adjust to the cold and to get the flavor. I had no problem getting him off the bottle even though he had milk in his bottle too. Within a week of his bday he was all sippy.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 27, 2011