HUGE thunderstorm and tornado warning...

And baby is going nuts! I have never felt this little one move so much! I am also having some braxton hicks. Can a storm cause this to happen? I know silly question. 19 week pregnant.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Please don't laugh at me. I remember someone once telling my storms can cause labor (which I am not worried about labor) but then I got to thinking if it can cause labor can this happen? LOL. Even if you think this question is stupid please answer. I am trying to keep myself calm while under a tornado warning.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't know if its a old-wives tale or what. They say some women go into labor during the storm because of the altitude. Again I don't know if it is true or not. But I did go into preterm labor during a hurricane and i was only 30wks. It makes you wonder........
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Hmmmmm I was born in the middle of a massive flood and storm. DH's friend just gave birth last week a few hours after a severe thunderstorm.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's not the altitude (sorry, laughing about that one) - it's the barometric pressure. When a woman is full-term (or prone to premature labor), low baro. pressure can cause labor. But if you're 19 weeks, just take it easy - feet up, lots of deep breathing, stay hydrated, and you'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• Growing up in South florida I remember late term pregnant women were advised to seek shelter at the hospital during hurricanes. It's thought that a rapid and steep drop in barometric pressure -- the weight of the atmosphere pushing on the surface of the Earth -- can induce labor in women who are at or near term. The lower the barometric pressure, the more intense the storm. Not a dumb a question!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My bad about the altitude lol
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• whoa this is super interesting! haha good question. I was born in a blizzard :) Pretty cool.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Lol babygirl0782 until it was corrected it sounded pretty legit :)
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You never know! The baby could feel the changes in air pressure on your body due to a storm. Like when you go up in a plane & your ears pop.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:07 AM on Apr. 27, 2011