Should I call about this job?

I had an interview (it will be two weeks ago on Thursday). I specifically asked her when she would make a decision and she said that she would make that decision in two weeks, then would set up training. Like I said, it will be two weeks on Thursday. I emailed a thank you for the interview letter the next day and told them I would love to accept the job. The thing is, I'm having trouble believing they would really wait the full two weeks to make that decision. I so want to call them, but don't want to appear desperate or that I am bugging them.

Would you wait or call?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• If they say 2 weeks wait the 2 weeks. You sent the thank you note showing interest now let them do the job of narrowing down the candidates. I personally would not call, will at least not until a little over the 2 week period. You expressed extended interest through the thank you note so now just wait and dont seem to pushy, some employers do not like that.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• couldn't you just call to inquire as to if the position has been filled? you don't have to give your name
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• definately call. I hated doing that, but that is what all the experts say to do. It just reafirms you are really still interested in the position.
    zradiogirl

Answer by zradiogirl at 9:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I applied for a job at an internet and cable company 2 years ago. They called me two to three weeks after my interview and I didn't officially start working until a month after that. Things like this take time. I've been with this company now for two years. What we do here is when a worker gives them a notice of quitting they start looking for a replacement..thing is that employee might not be quitting for another month or so..so they start conducting interviews immediately but give the people a call back when it comes closer to them being able to start. I wouldn't call or bug them too much unless they said that was ok. I wanted a job at a Subway when I was a teen and the manager told me to call her everyday about the application and did eventually but I'm not sure I would do the same today.
    PrettyGirlRedd

Answer by PrettyGirlRedd at 9:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would call and say hi I am so and so and wonder if you have made a decision on the position. When it takes that long it usually means that they have more interviews. People who interview sometime can only interview a couple of people a day because they do other stuff and have a hard time scheduling interviews.
    robinverm

Answer by robinverm at 9:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's not unusual for them to wait 2 weeks to decide, maybe you were at the beginning of a slew of people they were interviewing. They need to see the entire group to decide on the best fit for the job. It sounds like you already did all the right thing. I would email the hiring manager. Keep the inquiry brief and don't use this sentence per your posting "I would love to accept the job", that would require them extending you the offer of the job first. Good luck.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• sure...call
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011