Statatory rape questions... What do you think?

This is a spin off of something that was said on another post...

Do you think if two young people (lets say both 14) have sex (willingly of course) that only the male should be labeled a sex offender? Why isn't the female also at fault?

What if she lies about her age? (lets say she's really 15 but says she's 18) Or what if she's in a bar and under age? (The bars around here used to serve me when I was 15 and 16) and he honestly thinks she's of age? Should he still be treated as a sex offender? Or should she?

I realize I'm a woman, and a rape survivor and a feminist. But ass all those things I think if we are going to say it's wrong for HIM to do something, we should also say it's wrong for HER and the ball should swing both ways...

What are all of your thoughts? Lets get the conversation going...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• There's no way to give a straight answer to something like this. There are just too many variables. I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should be charged with statutory rape, or be labeled a sex offender. There's quite a difference between a teenager having sex with their teenage girlfriend then a man or woman molesting a child. Sometimes I think it just gives parents a way to blame someone else instead of holding their own child accountable.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If she lies about her age then he should not be labeled as a sex offender, a lot of good guys out there have to live with a sex offender label for the rest of their lives because of a stupid little girl who lied about her age, it's not fair. There are a ton of gray areas when it comes to statutory rape. That's my opinion.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i think the whole thing is bs these girls are out trampin with whoever and lying about there age.then some moms use it just because they dont like the boy bs.or the girls get mad because the boy leaves them or something then gets charges pressed i think there are very very few reasons a man should get in trouble for it and actually at that point it is molestation.needless to say i think they should abolish the law i hate it
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't think ANYONE convicted of Statutory Rape should have to register as a sex offender. It was consensual, no matter the age. That said, I would not allow my daughter to be out with ANYONE when she is under the age of consent. For you that say I can not control my child like that, you bet I will.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have always felt if a girl lies about her age she also should get into trouble,but both should not be labelled sex offenders.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• How awful! In that case there should be some way to get off the list! It's a heavy burden to carry around for the rest of your life
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Statutory rape is when an adult is with a minor... in the event of 2 minors having sex it wouldn't even be that. In fact, most places won't charge statutory rape if the parties are consenting and the age difference is 3 years or less.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 9:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Male or female, if you have sex with anyone consenual under age, then you should be convicted, and females should face the exact same punishment if their 18 or older.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wouldnt press charges if my teenager ended up pg by a boy she was dating and willingly slept with IF he was the same age.
    IF he was older and we had told him to leave her alone... then i would press charges.
    Anonymous

• if you have sex with anyone consenual under age, then you should be convicted

Okay, so if they are BOTH 14 and BOTH consenting, should they BOTH face charges? Or should it be a wash?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011