How do I get my kids to stop fighting ugh!

My 2 1/2 year old boy and my 6 year old girl...the house is always caotic

MexTexmom2

Asked by MexTexmom2 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a 2 1/2 yr old girl and a 7 yr old boy! :D Never a dull moment! When they fight, I usually step in and explain to them what the intentions were of the offending behaviour and remind them how much he/she really does love the other. Fights blow over very quickly and they get back to playing nicely together.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• All kids fight. Try to give them things they could do in common. "Honey, could you show the baby how to color?" that one worked very well in my house. 7yr girl, 5yr girl, 2yr boy!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• my stepkids cant get along to save their life so we try to keep them separate as much as possible.

esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• when mine start fighting I make them stand in a corner together and hold hands. Sometimes I will make them stand there and hug. It only takes a few minutes and then they start cracking up about hugging each other and they forget why they were fighting. Try it, I swear it works.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It's pretty common especially when you have them close together in age. I know it's hard to watch them 24/7, but it should get better as they get older. Good Luck!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have 3 boys (14,12,5) and some days they can't seem to get along for anything!! It can get frustrating to have them fussing and fighting with each other. What I do when they start in on each other is give them a few minutes to see if they can resolve it themselves, if they keep at each other then I will step in and hear each side of the story. Then once I hear who did what I give them each a talking to (or a warning/consequence depending on what they did) and then I separate them for a while.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2011