"Christianity is not a faith, it's a community of faith"

Agree or Disagree?

This was a statement made in a book I'm reading, and I liked it. the idea was that there are so many different beliefs and traditions within Christianity that it's become more of a community than a singular belief system.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• clappingwell put. i agree.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Absolutely! When someone tells me they are Christian I have no idea what to expect...and certainly not because I haven't met any before lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:03 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Not sure Id agree simply because the community is so different and they disagree on the simplest of things...I wouldnt consider that too much of a community really since when most think community they think togetherness. Disagreements sure but this particular community argues over who is right and wrong and who is really a Christian and who isnt,etc.

To me that isnt really showing community spirit or faith.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Sounds like the community I live in! lol

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Hmm. I think there are neighborhoods within the community and they squabble over who is right and who is best and who has the pipeline directly to God. So in that sense, yes, it is a community.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 10:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Christianity is not faith. It is really about a relationship with the Lord and in that relationship there is a community of believers... which is considered family.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Haha, I still think it's a faith. We may disagree on a lot, but we all have a common faith in the person and message of Jesus, regardless of how many different ways we interpret or understand it. I see "Christian/ity" as an umbrella term, to be sure, but still believe that it is one faith. And it's not the ONLY religion/faith that has many different schools of thought or understandings....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Agree.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:29 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Community implies a unity that isn't there yet. Maybe someday
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• hmm I can see it like that I guess. Never thought about it before honestly. To me a religion is generally a community of beliefs but perhaps I am seeing it wrong?
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2011