What is wrong with me?

I make friends really easy. I have since I was a little kid. My problem is that I can't keep them. I always have a different "best" friend every year. For some reason, the minute they say something that I don't agree with, I get really bugged and I don't want to be their friend anymore. Actually, I do want to be their friend, but I just stay annoyed with them so then little by little I start to avoid them, and I suppose they start to avoid me. When we do get together I make little comments about what they said that I don't agree with. So, all you people that have had the same friend for years, how do you deal with disagreements? How do you let your friend know that you value their friendship without seeming desperate or somewhat weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• Well since you know what the problem is I'd say try and work on it. Maybe just constantly tell yourself you can't control other people, you can't always agree with everyone, but that doesn't make them bad. Good friends are hard to find....you're not gonna be able to find one if you can't be one.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• the easiest way is to accept that every person has a different opinion. You need to try to accept and realize that. From the way you talk about yourself it wont be easy.

I dont really know how else to help you. If i fight with my best friend for what reason ever than i get mad and he gets mad and then we talk to each other for a few days and then we tell each other that we are stupid and forget about that stuff. haha
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• well i do have this one annoying friend but honestly i just see her once in a great while since we live 2 towns apart. i dont drop them unless they drop me, but i just see her once in a while.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have several good friends. Some I've known since junior high. My best friend and I have been friends for 18 years. Have we had fights? yes. Do we agree on everything? no. Do I love her as a friend? yes. If she called me at 3 in the morning to come bail her out of jail-I would do it in a minute. We have been through so much together-the birth of babies, the adoption of children, infertility treatments, divorce, separation, teenagers, the death of parents. These are the ties that bind you to another person. Just because you are friends with someone, doesn't mean that you all will agree on every subject or situation. You have to respect the fact that other people have their own ideas about life, based on their perception of the world.

If you want to find and keep friends, just be yourself, accept others for who they are and listen to them with an open mind and an open heart.
    boysmom67

Answer by boysmom67 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• In thinking about my really close girlfriends, I don't agree with everything they say, but it doesn't annoy me. I accept them for who they are. I've had friends over the years that I've fallen out with over things said or done too. So it just depends on the circumstances. But in all, I love my best friends, no matter our differences. And they treat me the same.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 4:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my best and closest female friends live far away from me. I have never been able to keep too many close female friends either. Mostly because I am not a people person and other chicks bug me. But my two best female friends I have had since HS and they live far away, but we are very much alike and don't dissagree on much. I don't have much tolerance for women that are very different from myself. I have only superficial relationships with these types of women. It works for me.
    Anonymous

• This is the OP. Anon :19 Do you ever feel lonely? Who do you socialize with?
    Anonymous

• We act like family...stuck with each other like we dont have a choice. We all disagree and need some space and when that time comes we take it...but we are different people and cannot always agree...so we try very hard to see the big picture and move past our troubles.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I have had this same issue before. I learned to accept people for who they are. A person is going to be who they are and you cant change that. Everyone is different in many ways. You have to accept that your friends will be all different and everything that they do and say wont be to your liking. Its ok to voice your opinions and feelings to them. If they are a real friend you may have a argument or whatever but the next day its like it never happened. Sometimes you have to be able to categorized the people around you. For instance those "friends" who I know we are so different that we literally cant get along in the same space are distant friends. I keep them in my circle but they have to be at the top of the list to do things with.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 1:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2008