Is religion something you could compromise on???

If you and your SO are completely different religions (Catholic/Muslim or Atheist/Baptist) how would you raise your child? Would you be able to compromise or would you insist on your religion?

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I will teach them about my religion and let them make their own choice.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wouldnt marry someone that wasnt the same religion as me.....religion is something I'm not willing to compromise on
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Good Question...BUMP
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am Pagan, my DH is Christian. Is that the kind of difference you meant? lol. We don't raise our children in ANY religion. We both believe that spirituality is something personal and not something that anyone, including parents, have the right to choose for you. So we raise our children without any weight on any religion. And no, I don't, and won't ever compromise any of my beliefs or practices beyond being respectful of his difference of beliefs... And he's the same.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't marry someone who was religiously so different from me because of those issues. Good question though, I look forward to the answers.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I could not marry someone of a different religion. I was in an interfaith relationship and it was very difficult with just the 2 of us. I couldn't imagine how hard it would have been if we had had children.

My religion is part of who I am. I do and do not do certain things according to my religion. And now, with DH, it is becoming a larger part of who we are.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No. Because we think diff and there is always confliict especially with raising a child. I have broken off many relationships because of this issue
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thankfully my son's father & I weren't really into any religion. He was a little more into "God" than me and still is. I figured as long as the whole "God" thing doesn't get too carried away, it's ok for my son to be exposed to it. My SO and I are somewhat different. He was raised full blown Catholic and I was raised, um nothing. I was raised to believe in God in away, but not to the extreme. I'm now spiritual and my SO is now, nothing. He doesn't believe in anything. God, Devil, Heaven, Hell.. nothing.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't teach religion.. just relationship with Jesus Christ.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Absolutely not. I also wouldn't marry someone who believed different than I do. If things change after the marriage, that's a whole different ball game, and I don't think I would handle that well.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011