Can you still eat veggies, fruits or whatever comes in a can after it has been opened and whatever was left kept in the fridge for a day or two?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've always heard you're not supposed to store food in opened cans, but I have transferred leftovers to a different container without any problems.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i put mine in a container and make sure to use it within a day or 2!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Depends on if you left it in the can or not. If you left it in the can, no good. But if you stored it in the fridge in another container, it's probably okay for another couple of days.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 10:50 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• But why isn't it good to leave it in the can after a day or two? Sometimes Iam lazy and just stick the can in the fridge.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• >>>But why isn't it good to leave it in the can after a day or two? Sometimes Iam lazy and just stick the can in the fridge.
    <<<

I'm not a scientist, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ;-)

But my understanding is that it has to do with the oxidization of the aluminum. When the can is sealed, no oxygen gets in. Once it has been opened, the oxygen creates a chemical reaction with the food. You need to cover the food well, too; oxidization of the food can come into play, too.

But if you take the food out, put in another container, cover and refrigerate it should be fine for a few days!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• if it gets open i try to take the fruit, veggies out of a the can into a container.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I believe KateDinVA is right.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• it isn't a good idea to store anything in a can after it has been opened. I always transferred the food to a bowl after I opened a can if I was going to cook it right away.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• transfer to a bowl or refrigerator container
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 11:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I do not eat canned fruits or veggies, but believe that you are not supposed to store open cans of food -

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2011