Work transfer?

OK. I have been working for almost 3 months as a cashier at Target. I didn't know that I would be MOVING!!!! Anyways: I have a situation that I have to move about 5 hours away. So, I was wondering if I could possibly transfer? I am so thankful for my job I don't want to leave: but I have to go. I was thinking about of course putting in a months notice, and then transferring if that is available? OR applying at the Target there and then await an interview and set up my start date (after my weeks notice here). (if I was given the job). Can anyone help me? I am scared to go talk to the supervisor about this, (I do have time before this all has to be done *moving part*) but its coming soon. Help me!!! This is my first job ever also! If not I do not want to, but I'll end up having to leave anyway, but I'll have to find a job before I move. UGH! Please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would talk with the HR department where you are as soon as possible. Giving as much notice as you can will help them accommodate your needs for a transfer and ease the burden on them for replacing you. They might not have a cashier job available, but I would try to be flexible to get your foot in the door there (i.e. work in another department if it is available), and then when there is an opening for a cashier they would probably switch you back to being a cashier. If they transfer you, you will probably be back to work faster than if you had to apply there. Transferring saves the new target the time and money of recruiting, hiring, and training you, so they will probably be game.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'd definitely ask about transferring. If you're a good employee I'm sure your supervisor will put in a good word for you- good luck!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If you want to work at the Target near where you are moving, you need to be totally honest and upfront with your current employer. Tell him you have no other choice and of course you are willing to give a two weeks' notice. Remember, you really want him to help you get on at the other Target, so be very, very nice. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Talk to HR. You usually have to work for a company 6 months before they will transfer you. You may just have to wuit and re-apply at the new one with only working 3 months.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:56 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am willing to work any shift!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:28 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Sorry, that and any department
    Anonymous