Do you remember Chernobyl?

Today marked the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster... Do you remember it? If so, how did it affect you?

**Sorry, not sure where to put this

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I remember it very well. I remember talking about it in current events and in science class. We also were learning about various forms of energy in shop class and that was a topic of discussion as well. I remember Three Mile Island as well. That was a little scarier for me as we only lived about an hour and a half away and I was only 5 at the time and didn't really understand a lot of what was going on. There was another nuclear power plant closer to us and I thought that was the plant they were talking about and I was scared we were going to die.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'm in PA, I wasn't alive for Three Mile Island, but my mother was in HS. She said she remembers being terrified because they didn't really know what all that meant yet. And they thought they would all be melted by the radiation.

I was alive for Chernobyl, but not old enough to remember it - I was 2... But it's something I did research a little bit about a year ago... And then with all the Japan stuff it's really mind boggling that we are still using Nuclear power!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I was 6, almost 7 at the time but I really have no recollection of it at all. I did some research on it a while back. Which is funny because I clearly remember the Challenger disaster which I believe was the same year, but not that. Very scary.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Im inn the same boat as astraea. I remember Challenger but not chernobyl. It's prolly because we watched the Challenger explode live at school.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Of course I remember it. Japan is the new Chernobyl. Chernobyl didnt effect me at all. Japan however effects me as Ill never willing eat sushi or yellow tail again because of the radioactive water they admit to dumping for decades. I also have military family on the base in Japan. All I can say is We Americans are SOO BEING LIED TO about whats REALLY Going on over there right now. SOO LIED TO!!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wasn't born until 1988 D:
    caito

Answer by caito at 8:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2011