Federal Jury Duty? (Possibly PA specific?)

Have you ever been summoned for jury duty? Federal jury duty?

I was summoned for federal jury duty and someone asked me if it's regulary jury duty or grand? It doesn't say on the summons. How can I tell? Will I not know until I am required to show up?

Also, I was wondering what my chances are of being selected, how many people who receive the summons actually get picked, etc?

I only know people who have served on a county jury. How different is federal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was summoned as a stand-by for Grand Jury once. It stated on the summons that it was for Grand Jury. Don't know about the rest. I've skipped every jury summons I've gotten until last year (when they threatened to hold me in contempt if I didn't show up). I would make a horrible juror...I suffer from severe anxiety and a bunch of other issues. I was nearly hyperventilating going into the courthouse last year. It was awful.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I've only done grand jury on the state level, so I'm not sure! Is there a website or a phone # you could call with questions??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have served on a jury through the Federal Courts- a total white collar crime. It was not a grand jury. I believe in CA (my state), the grand jury pool is culled out and you serve for a certain length of time, so you would know one way or the other.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No clue, I've only ever gotten a jury summons once... My home town in SW MO, after I had been married several years, no longer living in state (haven't lived there since being married), moved voter registration (apparently I'm STILL registered to vote there in that little town, according to my mom, even though I've registered here)...I still got the summons, LOL. My mom returned it and told them "look, she's not lived here for x years. She's in South Dakota, and I'm pretty sure there's no way she'd be able to show up."
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You could get sequestered on a federal jury. They will send out about a 100 summons for one trial, as each lawyer gets the option to exclude people from the jury, you wont know if it's a Grand or regular until the day your there. Your chances are as good as any other persons there, unless you have a reason to be excluded, like you say you hate this kind of person or that kind or believe in the death penalty or dont. I get excluded every time because when they ask if Im racist, I say I hate every race equally, that Im an equal opportunity hater. That always gets me off. LOLOL
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011