Do you think Helium 3 may be the answer to the world's energy needs?

I watched an interesting program on it not too long ago and since then it has just sort of sat in the back of my mind.

Please use google to get background info on Helium3..there are many many sources. This question is about it's possiblities.

The moon is rich in Helium 3 and China is making a big push to get to the moon. As we know with previous world exploration..it is important to stake your claim so to speak. Why aren't we doing more to go back to the moon and explore the possiblity of this green and available energy source?

Just ponderings...if some of you are well educated on Helium 3 I hope you will share. My research has just scratched the surface.

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 10:57 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Perhaps part of the solution. If we have to travel to space to collect it, it may not be worth it, and creating it on earth sounds expensive. I read that they have solid ideas on how to build a working power plant that uses helium-3 and it would be safer fir humans and the environment than nuclear. Fusion power using hydrogen is already possible in large quantities and has even been used to power a car instead of electricity or gas. I'm leaning toward hydrogen in the short term and maybe helium a generation from now.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If it is, the Govt will find a way to say it's a potential bomb and so not safe and never let any company market a car that runs on it. Our Govt is the ones addicted to Big Oil and the profits.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:37 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• " I think there should be some effort in isolating some of terrestrial H3 and experimenting to see if it really works as expected."

I agree with this comment^. Excavation, transport and research- Cha-Ching. However, I do think all plausible energy options should be be explored and researched.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• kitkat..the program was really cool..they have discovered moon dust can be heated and "modified" until it turns to water. If they can set up a basic infrastructure on the moon without having to haul so many necessities like water and oxygen it will make the helium 3 much more affordable to transport...plus 1 ton of it can power..I think 100,000 homes for a year.

It is cool and I think it bears looking into...thanks for the xtra info.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I hate to leave the question..but I have to go for now...time to put on my Mom hat!
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have never heard of this but it does sound interesting. I think it is a terrible mistake for us to stop pursuing space exploration.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Ben and Jerry's uses a Thermoacustic Refrigeration system. It's been around since the mid 80's. I think we can credit some brains from PA state with the find for them. And you can google the Thermo Acoutic Corp.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011