Should I breed my yorkie?

My yorkie is a year old and I dont know if i wanna her to have puppies or get her fix. Im thinking of just letting it happen one time but should I do it with the same breed bc she is a pure yorkie?

mystery8307

Asked by mystery8307 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Pets

• I think the are of lot of animals out there already who needs homes so I don't support breeding. It's just adding to a big problem already in my opinion.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• How big is she? You might want to talk to your vet before you breed her, a lot of yorkies have very difficult pregnancies and have to have c-sections. I would certainly recommend breeding her with, if not another yorkie, then a dog of a very similar size.
    chaslee

Answer by chaslee at 11:21 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No, I don't think you should. But if you plan to go ahead with it please be responsible and wait until she is 2 years old so that you can have the health tests done (they can't be done until then)to see if she is actually worth breeding. Don't be just another puppy mill or back yard breeder who just breeds to breed. If you are going to do this at least make sure that the puppies will be healthy and not inherit health problems from the parents. Do not just breed her with any male you find. Talk to reputable breeders who actually shows their dogs.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• they require ultrasounds, often c-sections. it can get SO pricey.... the pups would likely sell very quickly, though.... unless you're doing it on a large scale you'll be lucky to break even. if it's fun/hobby or for the love of the yorkie breed I say why not. But profit/income from it is difficult
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. Just because she is not a mutt doesn't mean that she needs to be breed. There is every possible bread being put down in a shelter somewhere. I was a foster for several years. I saw dogs of every size and breed that were going to be pts if someone didn't step up. You are also putting your dogs life at risk if something major goes wrong, and the vet can't see her in time.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There are lots of dogs already needing homes, some of them even purebred dogs. I wouldn't. Plus, it's going to cost a ton if she needs a c-section or ultrasounds.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with the first answer. There are lots of dogs in shelters just waiting for someone to adopt them. To breed a dog, is just contributing to the problem. Personally, you would be doing you do a favor to simply get her fixed.
    khebert

Answer by khebert at 8:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with others. Unless you are knowledgeable in their genetics and are breeding to increase the quality of the breed, 'just because she's purebred' is not a good reason to breed. Many, many dogs are purebred but are 'pet quality' dogs and not 'breeding quality' dogs. There are also so many unwanted dogs, some purebred as well, in shelters everywhere being put down because they need homes. There's also always the possibility of major medical issues and personality change following the birth to consider. Personally I don't think it's worth it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:18 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• What is your basis? Excellent conformation? Her temperament has been tested in the ring? Any performance titles?

What is the health history of both sets of parents and grandparents? If you don't know the results of eye tests, joint tests, etc...you don't know what you will be passing onto the offspring.

How are you going to find a male? Are you going to know the full health history and health certifications of the stud dog and his parent dogs and grandparents? If not, you will not know what health problems you may or may not be passing onto the puppies.

Most owners with male dogs who have clean health records, will only breed to bitches who have been proven in the ring and who have certified, good health backgrounds as well.

If you have a pet yorkie that you can not answer the above questions, and you breed, then you are called a backyard breeder. If you do it with multiple pets, you are a puppy mill.

So, No. Do Not.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:22 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• All the other answers here are spot on.

DO NOT breed your dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2011