I'm so mad right now!

My 5 yr old son said he doesn't want to play baseball anymore. So I decided today that I was going to take him out. Well he tells my mom "Baseball is stupid!" He tried it and obviously doesn't like it. So my mom just said to me "I hope he doesn't turn out to be gay" Well first of all, I didn't know that because a boy doesn't like a certain sport then he will be gay. Second, there is nothing girly about my son. I just was taken back by her comment.

Has anyone ever said a crazy comment to you about your child? How did you handle it?

JayRo00

Asked by JayRo00 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow!! Your Mom sure is ignorant! Not liking sports DOES NOT make you gay! or tend towards being gay.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• wow i would have set her straight . kids dont have to b involved w/ sports to be straight..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I know some Gay sports players and some macho non sports players. Hahahah

That's like my mom questioning my son's playing French Horn in the band. She said, "Isn't that a girl instrument?" I said, "I didn't know instruments had genders."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:41 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• WOW! That is very ignorant.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• When I had toxemia with my second child after having it with my first, I had a cousin tell me that that was only possible if they had different fathers. Um...I've been with my LP for 14 years...so which child was I cheating with, since that is the only thing she could have possibly been implying. Now I have it again...so I must be a real whore!

Yes, I would definitely say something about that!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:48 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If anyone said that about my DD, I would just say "And what if she does turn out gay? I would love and accept her no matter what...won't you?"

However, we adopted DD and I will sometimes get "Does she know her "real mom?" I just look at them like they are stupid and say "Of course she knows me." Idiots.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My brother never played sports and was a computer whiz! A friend never played sports and he is a professional violinist, another never played sports and he runs a huge corporation. I find that though sports are good for team player skills, they often don't end up with the best success later in life. Matter of fact most of the jocks from HS still hang in bars and work blue collar jobs. Even if your son was gay, he could turn out to be an incredible young man with a bright future, but I"m just thinking he has other interests and your mom is being ignorant about what real men do!
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• First off, I don't think anyone should pressure a child into doing something that they don't like doing. What does that have to do with someone being gay anyway? Boys don't have to like all sports. Ask him what he likes. I would have to tell your mom that he's only five years old, how can that make him gay? Besides all men do out there is scratch themselves and toss the ball around and it takes all day to play it. You did the right thing.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes. My mom gasped because my son is ambidextrous and there was an article going around that ambidextrous children are more likely to be gay (if you read the article, it was a very small percentage increase; obviously she did not read it). I strongly reassured her that there is no way he will turn out gay because he is "all boy".

If you talk to adult gay men, they reminisce on how they liked dress up, girl's clothes, fashion, etc. as children. Some could not be open about it because of people like my mom and yours. Others had adults in their lives who embraced their differences and they grew up to be fine gay men... If he's gay due to biological reasons and not sexual abuse, it is what it is and I am sure you'll know... you're his mom. It won't be because he quit baseball! He's 5!!!!!!!
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 1:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think some people just say things to get a juicy reaction. I wouldn't worry to much, even if your son does turn out to be gay you are still his mom and I am sure you will love him all the same. Plus there is no connection between not wanting to play baseball and being gay. My brother has started and quit 6 different sports and he is straight!
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 2:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011