Any other tips on increasing milk supply?

Have so far {and barely any change}

Mothers milk tea

Fenugreek

Prescription Reglan

Beer [but too grossed out by this one]

LovableFox

Asked by LovableFox at 12:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink heaps and heaps of WATER! way more effective and safer than beer.

Nurse constantly! It's annoying but true - there is no better way to boost supply

Just relax. Find a comfy spot and curl up with your baby and a nice tv show or book to read, and just unwind. Stop worrying.

judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh well I have to pump he had bacterial meningitis and no suck plus my nipples are inverted and flatten on contact :( It hurts to pump after awhile
    LovableFox

Comment by LovableFox (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My suggestion is to nurse/pump as often as you possibly can. A case of "supply and demand." The more used, the more will be produced.

Also, if you take any decongestants, stop. (Sudafed, etc) Those can cause your milk to dry.
    Cristi1004

Answer by Cristi1004 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Even people with flat inverted nipples can nurse. Put him to the breast non stop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Agree with all the ladies. Pump twice during every nap he takes. Space it out for as long as you can. Be patient if you don't get the let down right away. It takes longer when you are trying to increase the supply.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 1:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Great answers. How old is the baby? Also make sure you are getting enough food. With my first baby, who is now 16, I noticed my supply increase when I starting eating more plus drinking a ton of water. I also had to really force myself to relax. I was so worried, and then like magic everything started working out. Oh -and he was on me constantly, that really helped.
    Mona949

Answer by Mona949 at 1:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I had a hard time with my milk supply for a little while and I would pump 20 minutes every hour, on the hour. It's really tedious but it works wonders. Also warm packs work really well, hot showers help your milk flow just like when you are engorged. Drink lots of water. Take things like caffeine out of your diet, because they can decrease your supply. Good luck!
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 2:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Do you have a La Leche League close by? One on one conversation might help. There are so many factors that affect breastmilk supply. However, the most profound increases are often from medications, from resolving underlying health issues, and from simply increasing skin to skin contact. Which means either offer/try the breast more frequently, or find ways to hold/snuggle/carry baby.

Also, www.breastfeeding-essentials.com has a Library of articles. The page doesn't link well, but look for the article called Hidden Hinderances to a Healthy Milk Supply.
    dancingWNC

Answer by dancingWNC at 10:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• For those flat/inverted nipples? Breast SHELLS, worn whenever you are not nursing. You're doing all the right things but none of them will help without getting baby on the breast frequently.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Sometimes certain health conditions can cause low milk supply. The things you listed should have helped. I would ask the doctor to give me a physical and blood work to make sure I wasn't anemic, etc.
    bigmamaisback

Answer by bigmamaisback at 11:42 PM on May. 24, 2011