Should children get allowances for doing chores that help the family?

Do you pay your kids to do chores or use it as a lesson in responsibilty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd use it as a lesson in responsibility, but I'd also pay them for the chores. You can teach them financial responsibility as well that way.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:37 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• sometimes.. but it should not be expected every time. giving them allowances once in a while teaches them that they should work for what they want in life BUT if they are bratty and refuse to do chores unless they get rewarded;;; we have a problem. i think they should pitch in and help regardless because they get a roof over their heads and 3 square meals a day.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No. I don't get paid for doing housework, why should they be taught that every little thing they do to help should earn them money? That's not financial responsibilty, it's giving them a false sense of entitlement.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• No, I didn't get any money for doing chores and neither will my kids.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• That's not financial responsibilty, it's giving them a false sense of entitlement. "

I'M referring to the way they budget their allowance, so YES, it is teaching them financial responsibility, if you were addressing that to me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I didn't pay my boys for chores, we taught them as a family we all help out but....if they wanted to earn money, we would pay them for pulling weeds, yard work etc.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• An allowance should not be based on chores. Its intention is to teach financial responsibility, budgeting, etc., and should be paid on a regular basis.

Chores are a family obligation that should not be "rewarded" with any kind of payment.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't but I think I need to start. He is only 4, and I thought this was a little young to start learning about chores and money, but a friend who's son is also 4 has been giving him an allowance for a while now.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:06 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't think it should be given just for chores..thats responsibility...IF there was something they wanted to buy, then they can wash the car, mow the lawn and earn a few bucks for each..then they can learn to save up...I don't get this allowance crap just for the heck of it...teaches laziness in my opinion...I never got it unless I did above and beyond housework. I have always worked hard for what I have and I appreciate it, which is a big difference than when things are handed to you.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't feel that kids should be paid for doing chores that they should be doing anyway as part of their daily household responsibilities. To me, that is a form of bribery.

They want to earn money? Have them do jobs for other people.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 1:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2011