How can I manage to get my 18month old to sleep by herself. I have had her sleep with me since she was born. Now it is time for her to get out of my bed. She will sleep in there until about 1am and then she cries and wants me. We share a room, so i just can't leave her there. Please someone help me

nevaeh051907

Asked by nevaeh051907 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thats exactly why I dont like co-sleeping or even sleeping in the same room. It becomes a really bad habit and the parents will have (like in your case) a really hard time changing that.

I dont really know how to change that. But she def. needs her own room, her own bed. My friend has the same problem with her son and they still couldnt figure out how to get him sleep in his own room and in his own bed.

i wish you good luck. You can only keep trying. If she wakes up crying, then let her cry for a few minutes, it wont hurt her. Give her some warm baby tea and then bring her back in her bed. She will fall asleep when she is tired. But im just guessing. I dont really know if it will work.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• personally, i don't think it can be done effectively as long as you share a room. i feel your pain.
    Anonymous

• co-sleeping is not a bad thing! it creates a larger bond than anythign next to breastfeeding!

I slept with my daughter until she was 14 mo. and then i put her in her crib ( in my room) for the next few mo. she would always wake up in the middle of the night at first, i would hold realy still so she coudn't see me until she would go back to sleep( a bit rediculous) until i realized that she didn't think i was in the room and eventually she would go back to sleep, so i figured " if she goes back to sleep thinkin i'm not in there then it's time for her room to be put to use".

NOw she's 19 months old sleeps in her toddler bed...she waves to me goodnight and never even fusses...i did have to put extra effort out at first to make her room seem really cool and exciting so she would want to stay in there.
    when she wakes up she comes in my room and climbs on my bed, which helps us bond still

Raesabell

Answer by Raesabell at 4:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Give it time. My kids don't leave my room until they turn 3 and at around 2 they get used to their own beds just fine. There is nothing wrong with co-sleeping OR room sharing. I have 5 kids and not a problem yet. I have great sleeps who sleep in their own rooms. COuld you try soothing her back to sleep then placing her back in her bed? That's what I'm doing with my son. He goes down at 9, nurses at 1 and goes back to his toddler bed.
    Anonymous