Deciding whether or not to nurse kid #2

I had a terrible time trying to nurse my son between his allergies and my depression, horrifically painful letdown reflex and oversupply syndrome that messed with his stomach more then any dairy in my diet ever could have I don't know why I even want to try again. It's also very hard to get my ovulation going again and because I want more children fairly soon the idea of doing something that makes me anovulatory for extended periods of time.

But despite all that there is still this teeny teeny tiny little part of my brain that wants nursing to work just once. I don't even know why it's even there considering how free I felt when I weaned my son and no I don't really believe in any big benefits or that I'd be more connected if we were still nursing.

Is anyone else struggling with something simliar with kind of wanting to? Did any of you have a very painful experience last time or have issues with oversupply that didn't happen the next time you tried? If your first had tummy issues(reflux,allergies) did all of them?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• " no I don't really believe in any big benefits" - HUH? Even if you choose formula, you can't NOT believe in the benefits of breastfeeding. Breast is best, this is no argument, there is WAY too much evidence to back this up...
    Anyways I'd say you have a desire to nurse because it's a natural biological feeling. I say try it, please, because you can't argue that it's best for the baby, and you want what is best, right?
    It is hard. But it gets better as time goes by. And it's FREE! That's a pretty good benefit as well, right?
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have not seen anything that is 100% conclusive so no I don't really believe it has health benefits.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• But free I can agree is a big perk.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm very much in favor of breastfeeding; I have 6 kids and have been nursing for more of the last 20 years than not. I love it.

But it's not for everyone and if you feel that the trauma of breastfeeding and not being able to medicate your depression make it not worth it to you, then that's your decision to make; don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it. If nursing is very uncomfortable and being unmedicated is unbearable, you may well have a closer more nurturing relationship with your baby if you decide to use formula.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Oh it IS healthier. WAY healthier. And it is natural, and free, and sterile, and convenient, and the pro's just go on and on. If you decide it's not for you, then that's fine, but it IS and always will be the better, healthier way to raise a baby. If you reject that, you're just making inane rationalizations to excuse yourself from guilt.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:02 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 1:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well, I think that each BF experience with each child is differetn. you may not hav ethe same issues with your new baby that you did with your others. It's worth trying.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 1:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Is everyone just fixed on that one line(I believe it has benefits for people in Africa but not so much in first world countries) or is there going to be an actually helpful comment?
    Believe me I don't say that without a lot of research trying to find conclusive evidence that breast was actually best and what I found where a lot of mismanaged biased studies and some poorly conducted meta-analyses. Because believe it or not I don't think children fed overly diluted formula in Kenya and dry nursed Peruvian Indians belong in studies presented to Americans.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I'm starting to think I should just go with my head and not bother based on these responses.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• ^easy there turbo^ I say at least try it even if its just a day the free thing you cant pass up. If you like it continue, if you don't then stop. Don;t listen to the judgmental freaks on this site, some of em do have mental issues and go way overboard without even realizing it.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2011