No passion for life. (Warning this is a depressing post)

I'm not sure what I should do or if this is normal. I was very sick for about five years and the last two of them I was hospitalized 8 times as well as being on an IV at home 4 times. I have two small children and I am a full-time Mom. I live away from family and have been so sick that it has interferred with me being able to connect with others. I am experiencing a reprieve from my illness but I'm finding that I seem to have no desire for the things I used to really enjoy. I had a near death experience in the hospital in the last year and that seems to have impacted my view of life. I'm under 40 but no longer feel there is much point to this life or world. Is this normal after such a long illness? My husband is reliable and loving but I have no emotional support outside of him. I realize how insignificant my life is and that death is imminent. Also I'm a religious woman before this all happened and now I believe in God but am having to force myself for the religion part-and this most happen to keep my family in-tact. However it's caused me a lot of confusion. Should I seek help from a religious authority? I don't like Doctors anymore (geesh go figure-sorry if your one!) and I don't trust med's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• YOu don't need to see a doctor but maybe talk to a pastor....YOu DO HAVE A LOT TO LIVE FOR!!! YOU HAVE 2 SMALL CHILDREN. You are the world to them, I guarantee it. I think it's probably normal to feel this way after an illness, but now that you have overcome it, shouldn't you be thankful??? You have a loving husband and 2 beautiful children, what else do you need??? Once you overcome your depression (which I have faith you will) you need to find a circle of friends that you can count on. I am religious also and have been through much trauma in my life. I believe it has made me stronger. You need to be there for your little ones and get some help. I will pray for you..... (((((HUGS))))) If you need a shoulder to cry on or to just talk, feel free to message me.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Definitely seek help whether from a religious authority or a counselor. I had a near death experience, and if anything it made me embrace life even more. I knew life could be taken away at any time, and I wanted to experience every precious moment of it, and many years later having lost a few friends, I feel even more that way.

You definitely need some support. Your family is precious, your life is precious, and you need to find some joy in life again. It sounds like you need help in doing so. I didn't have a long illness like yours, and I'm sure that is contributing to your depression. I wish you the best.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:07 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You sound like me when I had my head injury that left me with seizures. I know exactly how you feel, but you have to figure a way to shake the horrible thoughts that I know are going through your head. I made a decision that Epilepsy WASN'T going to control me, that I WAS going to be the one to control it. Believe me, it took alot of soul searching at first but I'm so glad I did. I joined an Epilepsy support group, made life long friends. I'm so sorry you're going through this but show the world you're one tough bitch, lol and you CAN make it through anything! Remember, God only gives us what he thinks we can handle, so during the day handle it and at night ask God to take over your worries so you can rest your mind, body & soul! *HUGS*
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:17 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I lived a life that was horrible for many years. Thngs improved and I felt alittle better, but had lost all the joy in my life. I have a great husband, good kids and yet I feel like life is empty. Suffer constant depression due to lack of job, lack of joy and having a hard time keeping my faith. You are not alone. I feel like if today was my last day it would be okay. However, I personally think it's all due to that way people treat me, how I can't land a job and how my life is not turning out like I had always planned it would end up. Still hanging in there hoping for a brighter tomorrow, but it's not easy. Keep the faith and keep trying is all we can do.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:23 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Religious people can cause more harm then good. Pray and believe.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There are support groups for people dealing with illnesses, even online. Maybe connecting with others who are dealing with similar issues would be helpful. Family counseling is also a good support system, not just for you but for your DH and children as well.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Sounds like counseling couldn't hurt. You have been through a lot and it seems you are a fighter, that's good- don't give up, your family loves and needs you and a counseler can help.

try to find something that makes you feel good- music, having a hair cut or pedicure, take the kids to the zoo or something- get out a bit maybe will help lift your sprits a litlle
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Being faced with one's own mortality is enough to shake anybody up. Your life is NOT insignificant. You were put here to be your husband's life-partner and to care for those two beautiful children that God entrusted to you. That's pretty special. YOU MATTER! There's nothing easy about this life, in fact it can be downright unfair sometimes, but we need to keep the big picture in mind and be comforted knowing that there's perfection awaiting. Imagine living without sickness or physical/emotional pain ever again. I know God wants us to enjoy the journey, but most of the time I'd like to push the ff button of my life and just get there already. lol. I think talking to a religious authority is a good idea. Good luck on your journey. Blessings.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:45 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You sound like you are depressed and that could be a side effect of whatever was wrong with you and if you aren't taking meds they gave you. (whether or not you trust them, there is a reason you were prescribed them and not just to fill the pockets of big pharma). If you have issues with the meds giving you certain side effects you should ALWAYS talk to your doctor and have them adjusted or changed. It can take a bit of trial and error to find what works for you. More importantly if you are having these feelings you should talk to your doctor and get set up with a counselor.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I can understand why you would feel that way after all youve been through. Its going to take a lot to be able to climb out of this hole your in.Youre already seeking advice for help..so that a great start! I would seek an authority in the religion that you have faith in.They can really help a lot. I wish you the best of luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2011