Do you believe there's a certain amount of pain in the world?

that just gets handed over and moved around?

or can pain/hurt be created and destroyed...

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 1:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think there is a 'sum total' of pain in the sense that there is, say, a finite amount of water or oil. It's an emotion, a psychological construct of the mind. I think some level of pain and suffering is inevitable in everyone's life, but some amount of joy is also inevitable. I also think to a large part, our mindset determines how we experience suffering and what we make of it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:07 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Its definitely handed over and moved around. Once someone is hurt they usually pass it on to others.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I believe that pain can be created, destroyed, and passed along to others by our actions.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 1:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There is too much pain in the world right now. Talk to anyone and they'll have a story. Whether it be gang violence, rapes, our service members being killed in action, suicide rate is high. We live in such sad times and it takes all we can muster to put a smile on our face and move fwd. Our actions or inactions affect everyone, which is something most people tend to forget until it's too late. I try to stay positive because I know there are others who have problems far worst than mine.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• It can be created and destroyed. Unfortunately, the United States is a huge part of the pain of so many right now. Not a goodwill kind of thing going on at this point
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:49 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it depends on how deep the hurt is.... and the person that is hurt.... There are certain personality types that can handle the pain and others that have to pass it around. A person who knows compassion is more likely to know how to let the pain go.... as for what's going on in the world...it is what it is and no matter what my opinion is on it, it's not going to stop it.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Interesting question. I think certain types of pain, like generational curses, that have been created can be destroyed by not passing it on. But pain/hurt in general won't be destroyed until the Lord returns.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 9:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• All of the above!

Its created and destroyed and its passed around.

IMO, if you dont have pain...if you never experience it then you will never truly understand pleasure.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:29 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Uh, no. Unlike energy or matter it is not an "object" or force that follows the laws of physics. Rather it is a product of our minds and emotional responses and since eash person is "wired" differently they experience pain differently. Some are "hurt" by simply someone not agreeing with them while others are more "durable" and can experience greater pain without ill effects. Same goes for pleasure. It is simply a product of the human mind and not a force that can be measured accurately on a grand basis. only on an individual basis.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2011