My daughter will be 1 yrs. old on May 10th,. What types of solid foods she be eating?

My mother-in-law has been telling me for it seems like the last 6 months how she should be eating table foods. And that all 4 of her boys were eating regular table foods by now. And she POURS salt in everything she makes. She's a good cook, but i'm pretty sure a baby shouldn't have so much salt and sugar etc.

cdesersa

Asked by cdesersa at 3:24 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah the more you can keep her from the salt and sugars the better cause, once they get a taste of that, that's what she's gonna want! There's toddler foods out there that are pretty healthy, I've tasted them and believe me,there's like no salt in them! They're sold in the baby isle at grocery stores. Plus if you eat pretty healthy, she could eat some of that as well, just mash it up so that the texture is easy for her to eat. My mother used to do that with my daughter, stick all kinds of stuff in her mouth, used to drive me crazy!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:57 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I started with frozen veggies and boiled until soft at first (no salt like the canned) and fresh fruits, you can soften apples and such in the microwave. Yogurt with fruit, I added frozen berries to mine, Old fashion oatmeal with fruit bits, Scrabbled eggs, cottage cheese. My DD is 14 months and eat what we do I am just mindful of the spices I use.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Our third pink package will be 1yo on May 4th. (;
    What should a 1yo be eating? Well, that depends on who you ask.
    You could probably get some kind of list from your doctor.
    Are you bottle or breast feeding? If you're nursing, are the comments possibly about her discomfort with a nearly 1yo nursing?
    You can read here (http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html)
    But it sounds like you're really needing support to defend you in choosing healthy foods for baby. So yes, follow your insticts, mama. Baby has her whole life ahead of her to enjoy Grandma's cooking! A few more weeks (which quickly translates into a few more months) won't hurt anyone - but maybe Grandma's feelings. Maybe you could acknowledge that Grandma's feelings might be a bit hurt, and assure in some way that she is still loved and valued?
    dancingWNC

Answer by dancingWNC at 10:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• All of my kids have been eating table food since around 8-9 months. By 1, they were eating meals with us, eating what we were eating. But, I don't salt my food heavily if at all. If I'm going to put salt/sugar in something, I take a couple spoonfuls out before I add it for my little one(s).

Answer by missanc at 1:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011