Does anyone have some helpful ideas on corrective discipline?

Ex: I am a foster mom to a teen who thinks it's fun to bully my daughter who just turned 3. He does this alot in trying to keep objects away from her even if they are hers. Such as a ball, book, box ect.. We have tried to talk with him and explain she doesn't understand the concept of keep away but he still continues to do so. And she gets very upset, plus the fact I don't want her to learn that it is ok to treat others this way.

sweet-n-sassy29

Asked by sweet-n-sassy29 at 4:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a 17,15,10 and 20mos old. My two oldest are boys and the 15yr old does the same exact thing to my 20mo old. I have found it extremely helpful in taking away something that he cherishes or likes doing in order to dicipline him for his behavior. taking away the xbox or any game console works for me, also I have taken his phone and also taken away his priviledges. I explain to him why I am doing it and make him tell me why he deems it neessary to pick at a baby soooooo much. I usually get a smart attitude but I also have gotten some explanation. Sometimes they feel left out like the baby has all the attention and I have to explain that its because she is a baby.. I do take them out seperate once a week for one on one time, this have proved to help the best. Then we can talk and it be just the two of us! I hope this helps you a little bit.
    marcijo182

Answer by marcijo182 at 5:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree, if he wants to take something of hers then you should take something of his, then ask him how it feels. Explain to him that he is older and smarter than a 3 year old, and with that comes a responsibility not to take advantage of her. I would tell him any time you catch him doing this he will lose a privilege, whether it be video game time or computer, phone, etc. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, make sure to catch him doing things that are good and remark about that as well. If he interacts with her in a positive way make sure to notice it, or even let him overhear you telling your DH or someone else on the phone how nicely he played with her that day and how much fun they were having, etc.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• do the same to him with his stuff see if he likes it.Treat him as your own not a foster kid.He will respect you more if you do.How can you put up with that?Stop it,stop it now.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:37 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• There need to be clear consequences for acting that way, every time he does it. He needs to learn to be kind and respectful and there should be NO tolerance for that. Not sure how you can get "creative" but just be consistent so he learns it is not OK.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:11 PM on May. 4, 2011

• speak firmly without yelling
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 12:10 PM on May. 19, 2011