Diet or Exercise?

I know that both are required for a healthy lifestyle, but what do you think has the most impact on weight loss ... changing your diet or exercise? I once heard it's 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• it's different for everybody. When i lost a ton of weight, it was all from exercise...not dieting.

The best way is a little of both. But, people lose weight differetnly from one another. While some people do better dieting, others do better exercising.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• In all honesty, if you don't change your diet you will not be truly healthy. Exercise is awesome, but it doesn't mean much if you are continually putting junk into your system.
    They work hand in hand in weight loss. I lost 57 lbs in 9 months by tweaking my diet and working out 6 days per week. I started out at 5'1", 167 lbs and a size 12 in December 09'. By Sept. 2010, I was 110 lbs and a size 0.. I had lost over 50" off my body as well. My body fat went from 47.57 to a whopping 15!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:15 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• As you age, the amount your diet influences your weight increases. I could exercise away over-indulgence easier a decade ago than I can now. It really does take both, though. Think of a person who is skinny because they aren't getting enough calories - not a pleasant thing, right? Now think of someone who is slim and very nicely toned - totally different picture, right?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• If that's true no wonder I'm not losing anything! lol
    I remember when all that I needed to do to lose weight was drink water all day. No other changes to my routine or diet, just making sure I was sipping it all day.
    Nicole, those days are OVER lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:22 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yeah I truly think you need both working for you....exercise is about burning calories....stored up calories/fat, you aren't going to use those stored calories if you are eating way too much, you'll just burn what you are eating, and the rest will be stored as fat.....they have to go hand in hand
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Diet mostly, excercise damn sure does bump it up a few notches though!! LOL
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The two really do go hand in hand. Either one will help you SOME, but ultimately, the two need to go together, and will each help you stay on track with the other- when you exercise, you want to eat right (have you ever tried hitting the treadmill after eating a greasy burger? Not fun!), and when you eat right, you have energy to exercise. I've lost 60 lbs in the last year eating clean and running. When one slips, so does the other. I initially lost 17 lbs with the eating, but the rest came off once I added running. It made me more diligent about my food. I've still got a way to go, but I'm well on my way this way!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Diet contributes more to weight loss, especially in people who have more to lose. That's not to say that exercise doesn't help because it certainly does! It is easier to eat 500 less calories per day than it is to get your butt to the gym and run for 45 minutes on the treadmill every single day. Think of the results you'd get if you ate 500 less calories per day AND did a half hour of cardio (-300 calories) 4-5 days per week! Plus, you get the toning benefits.....not to mention the great health benefits on your heart and lungs. :-)
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Your best bet is really just to have an honest food diary and be anal retentive about your calorie intake day in and day out. Then, once you start to see some results, it really motivates you to get to gym/get out/do an exercise video (because you want to see more results!!) .
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I can't give you % but I can say you can exercise your butt off and still gain weight from either 1 over working or 2 still over eating. However, dieting will only work for so long if you don't exercise. So they really do go hand in hand. I could help more if you gave a more specific detail on the question. Like, what are you trying to achieve?
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011