Pink eye!!!

I have polymyxin (eye drops) and allergy meds for him. But I was wondering how long to give him medication for and how long pink eye will last? He has no insurance so I can't take him to the dr... Also how long should I keep him out of school?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• My son recently had pink eye and was prescribed drops 4 times daily for five days, but it should clear up within a few days, our doctor told us pretty much as soon as it looked cleared up we could stop using the drops unless it started to look infected again, and I believe they must be on the antibiotic drops for 24 hours before returning to school.
    tgh46737

Answer by tgh46737 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• check with a pharmacist. you have to kee him out of school til gone. VERY contagious!! warm compresses help too
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Pink eye is very contagious and not all of the over the counter drops will work..
    and Allergy meds have nothing to do with it...
    If the itching and redness/pink doesn't go away after 24 hrs of using those drops
    he is going to have to go to the Dr before going back to school...
    When my guy got it, (thankfully last half of the week) it went from one eye to the other
    before finally going away... he missed about 3 days of school then...
    If anything check with your dr or local health dept and see what they tell you... and go from
    there...
    Good Luck...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:07 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You could call the pharmacist and ask them how long to give the drops. You could also call the school to ask if they have a policy.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• 24 hours after being on antibiotic eye ointment or antibiotic eye drops it will no longer be contagious (if the medication is taken as recommended). But as far as I know, pink eye ointment and eye drops aren't OTC? My DS just got ointment for his eye yesterday. He has to have it 4x a day for 7 days.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:10 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• He will need an antibiotic ointment or drops that requires a prescription. Do the CVS pharmacies have walk in clinics? Or call the health department. Very contagious, wash your hans each time you treat him, or you'll have to be going to doc yourself.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:12 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• elasmimi~ He is taking prescription medication that I already had. Prescription eye drops to treat the pink eye and his prescription allergy meds to hopefully control the itching. And we are washing our hands and using hand sanitizer frequently...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2011