Do you think the gov't should offer to pay FOR women/men to be sterilzed?

My friends and I were discussing this over the weekend. There are so many unplanned/unwanted pregnancies, especially by people in the lower income bracket who can't afford birth control, etc.

Do you think the government should OFFER (not force) to pay for people with several children that they already can't afford to be sterilized (at their own request, of course)? Yes, that's $$ for the gov't to shell out, but surely that's more economical than paying out welfare for each child born to a lower income family?

My gut reaction is to say no, but as my friends and I talked about it, I became curious about what other people thought.

SleepyCupcake

Asked by SleepyCupcake at 8:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. You can receive birth control for free or low cost where I live so I think not being able to afford birth control is an excuse. But for people who use the goverment to support them and have children so they receive more assistance should be "offered" sterilization as an option. Unfortunatly if that is their way of life I do not see them useing the offered option.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• You are asking if people who keep having children they cant afford to raise on their own, who turn to the government for assistance as a lifestyle not as a temporary help, should be given more money to get sterilized? NO, they should be forced to attend birth control classes or be sterilized to prevent having any more children that WE as taxpayers pay for and support.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:42 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The most cost effective way to fix the problem would be to stop increasing the welfare amounts to someone if they have another/additional children while already receiving state aid. No prenatal care. No increased WIC. No Medicaid coverage. No extra HUD allowances/larger homes.

I would have no problem with legally forcing sterilization for mothers who continue to use drugs during pregnancy, or for men who roam around creating children that they refuse to support. We have women who have given birth to successive crack/other drugs babies, and men with several children that are being supported by taxpayers instead of them. Enough already. Either force the parents to be responsible or take away the right to precreate. We take away other rights when a person's actions are harmful to others and never blink an eye. Why is 'parenthood' sacred? Children are more vulnerable as a rule and deserve to be protected ... not just paid for.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Sterilized is which way? Do you mean methods such as tube tying? I'm very curious to see other answers myself :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• There are a couple of countries that do offer free vasectomies I believe... I can't decide. In the long run it may be cost saving but the initial cost would be very high. It would also depend on how many people chose to take advantage of the procedure.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think instead of PAYING them to do it, they should just offer it free while they are on medicaid, and make sure it is discussed with and known to the patient
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it would be a good idea. I also think in cases of child abuse (by the parents) the parents should be as well.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:05 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• they already do.

I know a lady through my ex husband, who just had her tubes tied after her 4th child. She was on medicaid & they paid for it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:07 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• "Birth control is not expensive, it is free....don't have sex. Period."

That's a great way to maintain a healthy marriage (sarcasm). When we're talking about sterilization, we're not talking about teenagers but people who already have families. Most states won't do tubals or vasectomies unless you are in your mid to late 20's and/or already have kids.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:53 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• no
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2011