My little News Junkie

My 8 yr old dd loves to watch the news. Every Saturday morning her and her daddy watch the news. She is up to date on everything going on in the world. She knows exactly what could happen when me or her daddy deploy and is well prepared. She is better informed on the issues than most adults. Hell I would let her vote for Pres before I would let some adults vote if I had the choice.

Do you let your kids watch the news? How up to date are your kids on the whats going on in their world?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 9 year old rather likes watching the local news, which includes happenings in and around areas she's familiar with, as well as feel-good stories involving local families. She's not too big on the national news though, which involves more politics and war.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:52 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• my 8 yr old does at times too. thats really cute.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I don't let my kids watch the news unless it's the weather or weather related.. too depressing!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:04 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i do let my kids watch the news but not when daddy is deployed b/c it makes them nervous. they think that the news will tell them if daddy is hurt.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I think it's wonderful for children to know what's going on in the world outside their front door. I think it's very much the American way to ignore things that aren't happening to them. Of course, I can see that this is also a survival method, but then I think, "If this were happening to me, I would want people to know about it & be outraged/sad/happy with me."

I think most news stations are aware that a LOT of news can be depressing, so they tend to interject little happy stories to even it out. It's so sad that most Americans don't even know the horrors that have been happening in Egypt, but they can tell you how much Kate Middleton paid for her wedding gown.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i would let my kids if they wanted to sad to say they are not into the news except there channel one program at school
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• yes because they need to under-stand whats going on in the world, especailly missing childern storys because they can see how evil ,mean people really are not to trust people they don"t know. yes my 5 year-old watches news with my husband& she asks questions learns more
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• He's in the room when it;s on but has very little interest in it
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:33 AM on May. 1, 2011