How to get Great Dane to stop stealing baby diapers?

We have a Great Dane that just turned two years old this April and she has this bad habit of stealing things, with a new baby on the way, her new obsession is stealing diapers. These things are not cheap, so how do I get the dog to stop taking and destroying them?

khebert

Asked by khebert at 8:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Which is exactly why I suggested a squirt of lemon juice in her mouth when she takes something. It acts as a deterrent even when you are not able to be right there, watching. Spraying a little on things will help to as she'll smell it and remember it in her mouth. I had several of those little squeezeable lemon juice containers so I could set one in front of something our Dane wasn't supposed to touch. Wasn't long before I didn't have to do even that. Danes are VERY smart and like children need discipline. Have you taken her to obedience school? If not, it's a good idea to do so. That;s where I learned the lemon juice trick. I could actually put a roast on the table, leave the room and he wouldn't go near it. He was also taught not to take food from people he didn't know and not to eat food type items people left on the ground. (reason for that: it protects them from possible poisoning).
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Put them where she can't reach them?
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 8:50 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Lock them up. The diapers not the dog.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Lock the dog out of the baby's room?
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• put them in the closet where she can't get to them.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• meriana and the poster above her have horrible advice. Abusing your dog does not train them. It causes them to fear you, not want to listen and try as hard as they can to avoid you for fear your going to hurt them. Answer by Acid

Abuse? where do you get that? A drop of two of lemon juice in a dogs mouth does NOT hurt them anymore than a drop or two of lemon juice in your mouth hurts you, they just don't like it and will learn to leave stuff alone, Actually the smell of lemon juice on something will usually cause them to leave it alone once they've had a taste of it. And just so you know, Acid, it was suggested by a VERY GOOD dog trainer, it works. I used this method with my Dane and he was NOT afraid of me or anything else.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• When you have time during the day, at least once a day, put her on leash with a correction collar and put a diaper in front of her. If she goes for it, give the leash a quick pop and release with a firm NO. Repeat until she ceases the behavior. Not only does this stop the diaper stealing habit but also allows her to associate the scent with something she is not allowed to put her mouth on and must respect. It sets the boundary and puts your baby in the pack leader position early on.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I guess you will have to start getting a spray bottle or something she doesn't like and using it as punishment everytime you catch her with one.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:00 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Get one of those small plastic squeezeable lemons that contain lemon juice. When your Dane does something you don't want her doing squeeze a drop or two into her mouth, (be sure you squeeze it into her mouth, do NOT spray her in the face with it). They don't like it but it doesn't hurt them a bit. Then just leave that little yellow plastic lemon by whatever you don't want her into. It won't be long before she leaves stuff alone without the lemon being there.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:51 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Dogs love dirty diapers. I had 4 dogs and I used a diaper genie. It was very effective at keeping the odor out of the house, as well as the dogs out of the diapers.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2011