Is it my temper or his?

My son throws a constant fit! Mornings, evenings, everyday, it is a struggle to get him to do what i tell him to do. He is only 7! He is extra whiny! And I end up yelling! I am close to spanking him everytime he acts up and maybe that's what he needs. Like he doesnt respect me. And I am the only one he acts up for! His father and I are divorced and both remarried. He likes his step-mom and only likes my husband some of the time! I get that the new step-dad is "taking his mommy away" But why only for me does he not mind? Out of ideas!

DLCarter2011

Asked by DLCarter2011 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a nine year old with a whiny attitude too! He was driving me crazy! Now I can get him past it pretty quick. When he starts it I tell him 'it's your choice to be miserable. If I could decide for you, than you'd always be happy'. I leave him alone. This gives him time to think and me time to cool off. After about ten minutes I come back. He's usually better by than, so I show him how what we are doing is fun, and we move past it. The first time I tried this was with gardening. His 2 younger siblings and I were having a blast, but not him! He was trying to ruin it for everybody. I put the other 2 down for a nap, and made him continue by himself. I refused to help him until he got a better attitude. It took 6 months of this battle of wills, but now that I've won a few things are alot better!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• how about sitting him down and going over the house rules and setting up a punishment system? If he's old enough to know better he is old enough to know the consequences. But be firm and you have to stick to it.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:05 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• sounds like he does know how to behave so hes choosing to misbehave so be consistant and strict and a good spankin doesnt hurt now and then and hes gettin up there in age u might wanna get it nipped in the butt now before it gets out of hand one thing that might help completely ignorehis fits give him no reaction at all
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• oh im sorry the ? was your atitude or his prob both you allow it so yours but he does and kows he can so his
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Seven isn't too old to spank in my opinion. My daughter is 5 and tries to treat what I tell her to do as a "suggestion." I have enforced a rule where she gets asked once, then warned once, then spanked. It took about a week for her to figure out that, yeah, I would spank...that after the warning....it wasn't an endless string of reminders and more warnings, she got spanked.

If you don't go with spanking, I would still recommend a similar system, where the child will KNOW what will happen if they don't listen or keep up with the misbehavior. Being consistent is really important here.

Oh, and I don't know if your child is trying to "play" one parent against the other, but mine was trying to do that as well, and we are all in the same house...I can only imagine that it would be more difficult with 4 parents than 2 to get on the same page, but once we caught on to that, we REALLY had to do a "unified front".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:38 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Frist spank him or give him time out until he gets done throwing a fit, next ask your son what he waunts to do for fun show him you love him & your his fun mommy
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 29, 2011