Fleas.....HELP!!

new puppy has tons of fleas and I can't afford costly treatments, any advice on how to keep them controlled? I am using vinegar baths and vacuuming alot anything else?

dnmc1985

Asked by dnmc1985 at 9:30 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Pets

• I've used Advantage for my cat in the past and it works quickly. The vet gave me some samples, so maybe if you call and ask your vet office, they might have some to give you. I've also heard Frontline works very well.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• frontline is only around $15.00 per treatment at the vet lasts. 30 days, sometimes longer depending
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The best thing to use is the Frontline from the vet. I know it is costly, but it works. When our puppy got fleas years ago, we used flea shampoo to bathe her in, and it helped a lot. It is not too expensive. Keep the dog inside once the fleas are gone, so you dont get them again. Best of luck!!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 9:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Lavender oil and shampoo!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• walmart has those flea treatments that you put down their back for less than $10 a pack.. pretty cheap and they worked for me
    Anonymous

• puppybathe with dawn dish soap and they have a pill out called comfortis, my lab is allergic to fleas bad and front line just did not do the job, the pill they actually chew up an he really likes the taste. Sad thing is fleas lay about 50 eggs a day so it's so easy to get infested. I would do the pill you get them at the vet and they cost anywhere from 10.00 to 20.00 depending on the size of your best friend. They last one moth and when swallowed with in about 10 mins they are gone.. Their beds and the house should be sprayed with flea spray also but they will be gone in about 1 week total.Its AWESOME and your puppy will love you

buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 9:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Eucalyptus is actually a wonderful natural deterrent for the house. Frontline, etc for on the pup depending on the age........simple borax on the carpets help too.

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:03 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Buy a single dose of topical flea preventative from your vet (10-15 dollars on average) and use borax in your carpets and under furniture cushions. Run it in let it set for at least and hour then vacuum it up. This should help. Keep in mind you will have another hatchout in about 4-6 months so keep on top of those treatments. I also hope you are taking advantage of some low cost vaccine clinics in your area! It is Parvo season! Congrats on the new puppy!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:14 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I agree with the others, frontline and borax.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:27 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Frontline works great! I use it every month for my dogs and no fleas anywhere!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011