How hard was it to take the bottle away and at what age did you do it?

my daughter is 2o months old and I been really trying to take her bottle away but she is late getting teeth so I thought keeping the bottle around for awhile will be ok bc of her teeth it is smoothing to her...so 2 days ago I decided to throw all her bottles away but for one..yesterday she had one in the moring and then all day long I didnt give her one I kept offering her the sippy cup but she refuse to take it she did this alday long then when it hit 73o last night she was in the worse moods ever crying and screaming..sO AFTER TRYING TO GIVE HER A BATH AND FEEDING HER SHE WAS JUST NOT HAVING IT SO i DECIDEDTO GIVE HER HER BOTTLE AND SHE WAS FINE.So here we are today and I only gave her one this morning and offereni the sippy cup again and she is in the worse moods again...How long will she be like this ...will it be a few days...how was it for you and at what age did you take the bottle away?

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 9:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started around 1 year. I slowly replaced the bottles with milk in a sippy cup. I would take one away each week depending on how he was doing.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Luckily both of mine were easy to get off of their bottles right after turning 1. My son prefers the sippy bottles that are soft. He still does and he is 2 1/2. Maybe try one of those if you have not already. Good luck!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 9:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I have three children, I took the bottle from all of them at nine months. I started giving them a cup, and they drink from the cup from then on. Do not give the bottle back, just because the child ask for it.
    jana741

Answer by jana741 at 9:59 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My son...I just stopped giving it to him. Never had any issues. I think he was about 10 months old.

My daughter has never taken one.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:09 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Every child is different. However if you keep offering her the bottle, even as a last resort, she'll never go for the sippy cup. She'll know that eventually she'll get the bottle and she'll throw her tantrum everytime until she gets it. Get rid of all the bottles and only offer her a sippy cup. She'll have no other choice then to take it. You can as well try different sippy cups to find one that she likes the best, although that could get expensive.

My son was just over a year and I only offered him a sippy cup. My daughter is about a year and a half and she gets the bottle at nap and bedtime. We're slowly weaning her and she's doing well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:19 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• WELL MY ONE YEAR DAUGHTER WAS DRINKING OUT OF BOTH SIPPY CUP AND BOTTLE FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS AND JUST LAST WEEK I TOOK THEM AWAY (BOTTLES) AND SHE HASNT NOTICED A THING.........BUT DONT GET FUSTRATED BECAUSE EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I took it away the day my son turned 9 months. Never had any problems. I plan on doing the same with my 7 month old!
    splatz

Answer by splatz at 12:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My son only liked the bottle because of his formula or milk. I thought it was just the bottle. So when he wanted it i just gave him water and he would reject it so the only way he would get milk was in the sippy cup. So at night when he wanted the bottle he got the bottle with water and the sippy cup with milk he did cry a little because of confusion but it did not last long.
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I never took the bottle away. I let my children decide when to get over it. My oldest was 2.5 years old and my youngest was 16 months old. I don't see the need to push the issue.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• My first stopped using her bottle on her first birthday exactly. My 2nd, 2 weeks after her first Birthday.
    Cassidysmom611

Answer by Cassidysmom611 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2011