H & R block

Has the emearld card. Have you done that? I was wondering if it's a good or bad thing? We are thinking about doing it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Money & Work

• We went yesterday and we were denied because according to the woman there she has yet to see any new customers be approved. My dd and fiance went and were old customers of h&r and got $700 back. I know based on what they told me there will be a hefty finance fee you have to come in and pay in January.

Answer by gemgem at 4:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I did the emerald card last year. It was cheaper then getting a direct deposit. I just took all of the money off a once. because you get charged every time you use it.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 4:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We got it last week and got approved for $900. We pay $45 dollar fee and a payment in January, then in Feb we have to pay it all. It's good if you take all the money out at one time, because you will be paying interest on what's in there. so I basically took out $800 in one shot and left the remainder for a automated payment. If you get cash advances, they charge you $45 for borrowing $255 now that's a rip off! When you need the money you just need the money. But I don't think it's a rip off.
    elizabethdaisy

Answer by elizabethdaisy at 5:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You get charged if you take money out of an ATM it's a $2 fee from block and then whatever that bank charges non bank members. But if you use at a store as an atm or charges it's free, you can even get cash back. If you pay it on time, it's a good thing on your credit report too. I just got a job there, so I know.
    elizabethdaisy

Answer by elizabethdaisy at 5:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'm not entirely sure how that works. But I highly recommend waiting for your refund if possible to avoid any interest or fees they might charge. If you file electroncially and give your account number, the IRS will direct deposit it within 2 weeks. If you have an easy enough return, there are free programs that allow you to e-file. Definately research those options first.
    Anonymous