Naps are getting PAINFUL!

My son will be 1 yr. old in 3-weeks. He typically takes 1-2 naps a day. Sometimes, he'll cry for a while when I put him down, but within 20-minutes, he'll be asleep. This week, he screams when I put him down for a nap. I'm not talking a cute little crying scream. I'm talking screaming where his voice gets scratchy and horse sounding and cries uncontrollably. So, I've tried to let him wear himself down and cry/scream himself to sleep, but he'll go like this for 45-minutes, no break. I know that when I put him down, he's tired. Could it be separation anxiety at this age? Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this experience? It's getting bad . . .

have2travel

Asked by have2travel at 4:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to build up a nappy time routine where you really relax him and don't run off right away. read him a story, sing him a song. You can also set a timer when he does this, go in after 30 seconds, stay for 10 seconds to soothe him the go out and reset the timer. Do this as many times as it takes to get him calm but don't take him out of his bed. Then he'll know you're still there to comfort him, but that he has to stay in bed.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008